FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Walking down the street and I ...

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:01 am

Walking down the street and I ...

see a huge gray box ahead about half a block away (40-50 feet). I dismissed this box as being a file cabinet and go back to checking locks on ebay. A few more steps and I realize something doesnt sit right inside.... this huge box is calling for me... but why me? I must have been the hundred thousands person to walk that block the day and then I gave that box my attention and discovered this.....

Upon my approach I discovered that the dial could only turn 1/8 a turn and the handle felt like it was snapped. I continued to play with it and realized I need to go home and come back with some tool. Lucky this was right by my house. I would have really liked to take the entire thing but could not due to size and not having space for it.

I came back with tools and gave the handle a few licks with a soft hammer and the bolts retracted and the door opened. I then realized that someone had already tried to take this lock off but had no idea what they were doing. Instead of removing the spline key which btw was sooo easy to remove that I could have probably removed with my hands, the just started to hammer and screw driver all of those insides destroying the cam :(.

I then realized that its an old S&G and there was no way I would live this to be trashed and started to strip this safe. I removed everything including the handle because I want to mount everything include those tags but before the I need to clean off all that grease but probably before that I need a new cam so if anyone has a replacement cam or can point me to where I can get one or may even have something similar that I can make work, please do PM me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Walking down the street and I ...

I had just a few minutes so I typed that up very fast and of course missed an important question I wanted to ask the pros. What is this lock? Model number? Year? Any info would be appreciated
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Looks like a Mosler wheel stack. I would check out Oldfast's safe lock thread since he has one picture of everything there.

Then again...
Or...
Screw it. I don't know.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 pm

It seems to be a 6700 series but the parts look wrong . No idea papa.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:41 pm

the safe may be a remington rand (hinges) with the old S&G 6730. doesn't it say 6770 on the lock body?
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:00 pm

second thoughts....lock is mesh change and has a star at the opening index. not 6730.....hhmmm.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:25 pm

wow, my eyesight is shot. even with the use of a magnifying glass i can't be sure if the opening index is actually a star. my other shot at the mesh change lock would be the S&G R6709.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:22 pm

This is a quite old S&G lock. The back of the case says 6775 and that specific logo was used starting in the mid 50s. You found a very nice piece and I an quite jealous :D
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:25 pm

HA! What a find! Too bad about the drive cam. Hopefully it didn't muck up or bend the spindle too.

As to the make/model/year. I'm not much help. Considering both the dial & back plate
are marked as S&G, I would assume it is. How old or what model I have no idea though.

Oops... looks like Riy has chimed in with an appoximate age.

Great find Gleb. Happy for ya!

p.s. Would the lever work off gravity? I see no spring on or for it among your pieces.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Haha , You made Riy jealous so you did get a score ! Good one Papa. hmm do you wanna still do that trade?
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:49 am

Hey gents. Thanks for the all great posts and for the bit of history. I just now took everything apart and thankfully only the cam is f*ck. the spindle and wheel pack are all in pretty good condition. I also forgot to add that when I finally opened the door the back plate with the wheel packs was sitting on one of the shelves so I am very thankful they didn't junk that part lol.

I also took the pin out and removed the spindle from the dial but am not able to remove the dial plate from the little circle part that has the faded S&G stamp. I want to take everything apart, give it a good degreasing because it is covered with the original grease I think but regardless it's all super gunky and then put it all back together. I do need to hear some opinions which will help me make up my mind on 2 points: should i Polish all the parts and second should I repaint the dial and dial ring? I'm short, should I restore this puppy or leave it as it?

Mike, I thought I had my terms in line but I guess not or maybe it's too late for my brain. When you say lever you referring to the fence or the handle? I assum the fence and yes there is a spring for it. It's inside attached to the case. I'll check what pictures I already posted tomorrow and if needed will post a pic showing you the spring.

I'm still hoping someone would have a cam for me but if not I'll be getting dirty trying to fix this one. Doubt I'll be able to fix it or even if I do I can assume it will surely kill the locks performance but I have no options. The actually safe is still standing there for the 3rd day now and again looking during day light I can not see how to remove the big cover plate to get access to the safes bolt work. I would love to get at least one of those bolts and mount everything making a pretty awesome display and teaching aid. By the way if anyone lives near the NYC area the safe is ready for pick up and I suggest you hurry because my next approach is to use power tools to get to that bolt work lol. I didn't yet because I'm worried those old one may have asbestos or at least that's what I remember reading/hearing from somewhere.

Typing this all on the huge screen of my iPhone lol so I'll add/edit this tomorrow plus new pics.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:20 am

Oldfast wrote:p.s. Would the lever work off gravity? I see no spring on or for it among your pieces.
Papa Gleb wrote:.....When you say lever you referring to the fence or the handle?
I assum the fence and yes there is a spring for it. It's inside attached to the case.....

Ah yes, I see it now! I figured I was just missing it. Thanks.
That's neat how it's attached to the body instead of the lever.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:50 am

I again forget the term but that security element that stops the bolt from retracting if the cover is off, is also attached. There is a cut in the bolt for it. Mike do you know how the cover attaches to the body? I see what appears to be a screw hole but it goes through and the threads look very weird almost like its not even threads.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Taking this lock apart, I could not help but drool over the craftmanship. The detail to stamp those numbers so straight. The inner geared wheel and the outer big wheel each have a corresponding number stamped on it so you wont get confused which is which and wont be able to mess up the combo order after all it does take a little time to change a combo and would such if you mixed up the wheels which means you mixed up the combo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:18 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:....Mike do you know how the cover attaches to the body?....

I would assume a rather large diameter screw (or something) goes through that hole
in the cover plate and threads into that tube in the lock body. But you say the inside
of that tube does not appear to be threaded?

At any rate, I don't see this among your pieces. Probably lost by that same sick bastard
that murdered your drive cam, lol. I'd take a thorough look in that safe just to make sure
it's not laying in a corner or something.

Papa Gleb wrote:Taking this lock apart, I could not help but drool over the craftmanship.....

On a couple of my older locks, I noticed the brass wheels were much heavier compared
to some of the more modern day wheels. Maybe a better composition? But they're solid.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks