FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What security safe to buy??

<<

No Locksmith

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:02 pm

What security safe to buy??

New to this forum and looking for help from more experienced people than myself. I am in the market for a security safe with good fire protection and attack protection. Something about 50" to 60" high, which will fit through a 36" door. I want to spend between $5,000 and $7,000 but am confused by all of the hype from the various manufacturers. Seems everyone's safe is safer than the other guys. Which safe would experienced locksmiths buy if they were looking in the range I am?
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: What security safe to buy??

Are we talking gun safe, cabinet safe, drawer safe? I don't know a whole lot about safes but I know there are many different brands and different locking types key, manual combo, electric push button, electric spin dial. Depending on your need will make the advice a lot better as the different brands don't make the same kinds, i.e. A good gun safe company, though it is technically a cabinet safe, will not have drawer safes and most drawer safe companies only make drawer safes. If you give us your intent someone here will be sure to narrow down your options.

Welcome to the board and enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Welcome, sorry I cant help but there are plenty of gents here who are very experienced in safes just give them some time.
<<

No Locksmith

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:57 pm

A drawer/shelf interior is what I will need. No long guns will be held but it would necessarily need to be the absolute most secure safe for the money. Whether that means dial or keypad, re-locker almost certainly. I am hoping someone on this forum could answer these questions. What safes are the best safes for the money?
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:25 pm

http://www.hddfiresafe.com/index.php/cl ... -gray.html

These bad boys are heavy as sin, can be chained to concrete and is what the government uses to store all their files up to Top Secret, of course these safes are usually stored behind cypher lock doors or keycard entry. But they are worth every penny you'd spend. These are about 450 lbs the electronic locks do not require battery replacement they work off of spin to charge them up long enough to put in the combination, easy to change. You can set up Master and user accounts on them and they are pretty damn near indestructible.

<<

No Locksmith

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:37 pm

High value contents will need a safe to protect 30 minutes or more from the most experienced attack; drilling, torching, manipulation etc.
<<

Josephus

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:49 pm

The best safe for your money is in your local bank branch. If security cost-benefit is key, then go deposit box(es).
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 pm

High value is not always money, I have many high value items I don't want in a bank, as banks are unreliable and not have 24 hour access. Prime example is family history records, birth certificates, car titles, vintage guns and knives, jewels, etc...

<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Welcome to the site No Locksmith, I like your name lol

I don't see the benefit in keeping things in a safe deposit box. Many people don't know this, but things kept in a safety deposit box are not insured; Things kept in a home safe would be covered under your homeowners or renters policy. Again, you don't have 24 hour access to items in a safety deposit box. Here is an interesting article of 12 things that should be kept in a home safe not at the bank - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/12-things-to-keep-in-a-safe-at-home-not-at-a-bank/

That being said, I keep very little cash at home, because I have a 24 hour bank ATM across the street from me and I'd rather keep my money in a bank account where it is insured and probably safer than my home (And I may be a little paranoid about home security, partly from seeing so many people who have had their home broken into)

All that being said, the best safe you can have is one nobody knows about. Hide it away in a closet or private area, and cover it up.
<<

innerpicked

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 pm

(21:42:51) PhoneMan: restraints? the GF and I do those
(21:42:59) PhoneMan: wait, um...
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
<<

Altashot

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 pm

There are no "best safe for the money".

What's the best car for the money? What's the fastest computor for the money?
A $600.00 fridge keeps your food cold, a $1200.00 fridge keeps your food cold too.

My understanding of what you describe is:

-Exterior 60"x35"x36
-Class 3 burglary resistance.
-2 hour fire resistance.
-Interior 52"x27"x28"
-2 shelves.
-2 drawer legal size.
-2 locks for drawers (To be determined)
-1 lock for main safe door. (to be determined)
-Relocker (type to be determined)

If I was to fabricate it and install standard combination locks it'd be around $10,000 or more.
It would weight aproximately 3000lbs.

Look at Fort Knox http://www.ftknox.com/ build one.

M.
<<

No Locksmith

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:36 pm

That is more in line off what i am looking for. interior may be too limited but site has many differrrrent safes to review. generally, are tann safes well regarded?
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Is fire proofing a requirement or just burglar proof? most safes are either build for fire or for burglar but not both. If I may ask, what is the value of the stored item? Are we talking a million dollars in cash or something more common like a $5000 dollar diamond ring or some hand guns? I'd say get an AMSEC or Gardall safe with mechanical S&G 6730 Group 2 lock, or dual mechanical combination locks if you're feeling frisky. Request a Group 1 S&G manipulation proof mechanical lock if the safe company can install one.

Look into terms such as TL-30 or TL-30x6 which means it is 30 minutes tool resistant on all 6 sides.. the Amsec AmVault does this. you asked about Tann, I'm not sure how easy it is to get a new Tann in the USA, that's a British company, and yes their safes are nice. ISM Ultravault is another good safe, not sure if made any more, may have to buy a used one. Also check out ISM Super Treasury and ISM Bullion model.

hope this helps, good luck
Squelchtone
<<

No Locksmith

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Thank you for the response. fire proofing is less of a concern than preventing entry. however cash and important documents would also be secured within, so above average fire restance is important. i will look into several of the suggested brands listed here. especially the sugestion that the most secure safe is the one unseen. Hiding this safe may afford the opportunity to provide for significant fire protection while at the same time removing it from public scrutiny.

I will monitor this site for additional ideas but want to thank you all for the assistance.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Let us know what safe you end up using
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks