FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

La Gard / Saint Blaise Time Lock Teardown

<<

rohare

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:10 am

La Gard / Saint Blaise Time Lock Teardown

So I picked up a La Gard time lock case with two Saint Blaise (A.K.A. STB) 114E movements off eBay for a ridiculously low price. I've never seen, touched, or otherwise had anything to do with a time lock, so I had to read up a bit. A time lock is a secondary lock installed on the inside of a safe or vault that has redundant timers. These timers are, for historical reasons, called "movements", much like in a mechanical watch. The desired amount of hours and minutes is set into each movement and they remain locked until that number of hours and minutes elapses. They must be redundant (two or more) because if you only had one and it failed to unlock (say, if the battery died) you would be forced to destructively enter the safe/vault. The size and shape of the locks/housings have been pretty much standardized for about 100 years and movements from various manufacturers can be installed as "drop-in" replacements if they match the lock/housing you use. Because of this size and shape backwards compatibility there are interesting holdovers of mechanical design on newer electronic movements. For instance, you still set the timer with a winding key rather than a keypad or a menu and buttons. Here is the lock with a small screwdriver shown for a size reference. This shows the unlocked position.
P1000718.jpg

You set the movements by first turning the peg about a full turn to the left. You can feel resistance from winding a spring and you can see the unlock cam rotating to the left-hand side of the movement. The movement is now armed. Then you turn the peg to the right which sets the amount of time that must elapse. The number of minutes increases in increments of 15. There are a lot of details about a movement such as the maximum number of hours you can set, whether or not you can change the set number of hours/minutes once it’s been entered, etc. based on the specific model in use, but this is the basic procedure.

You then lock the entire device by pressing down the center button. This causes the spring loaded cross-shaped arm to slip to the left, engaging a notch in the center button. Until the arm is forced out of the way by one of the cams on the movements the button will not slide back up. The winding down of either of the two movements causes the arm to be shoved to the right, allowing the button to spring back up and the device is now unlocked. Here it is in the locked position with both movements armed.
P1000722.jpg

Looking at a side view, you can see that there is an open chamber for a bolt to slide through. When the locking button is depressed, a metal plug slides into the chamber preventing a bolt from sliding through the chamber and unlocking the safe or vault.
Here you can see the chamber in the unlocked position and the locked position.
P1000719.jpg

P1000724.jpg

And here is the reverse of the lock with the front cover and rear mounting plate removed exposing the locking arm (which is engaged by the center button) and the black spring mechanism containers which are actually part of the movements, not the case.
P1000720.jpg

That's it for now. Next I'll begin dismantling the movement itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: La Gard / Saint Blaise Time Lock Teardown

Cool Rohare. That means I won't need to take mine apart! :mrgreen:

Doesn't yours have the option to program the days of the week?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm

Gordon, the STB 114 model is hours only, the 134 model movement can be set to days of the week and it appears his can be set to days of the week. The pics are a bit blurry but you can see at the top of the display there is a weekday displayed.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

rohare

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 pm

I can't do days of the week on this particular movement but they do show up on the LCD. I think they just use the same components and display logic on all the movements and the features are nothing more than a change in programming. That would certainly be the most profitable way to do it.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Yes, yours can be set for the day of the week. I have one of each model.

Here are some instructional manuals.
http://www.stbmicro.com/files/tlelec_e.pdf
http://www.stbmicro.com/files/134_e.pdf
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

rohare

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:23 am

Oh, thanks. I was missing one of those manuals. But I do have the 114E, both the documentation and my messing around indicate that I can only set the time, not days. Regardless, the days are visible in the LCD when it is reset.
<<

rohare

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:00 am

I removed one of the time locks from the body and took out the battery.
P1000727.jpg

Then I removed the plastic cover. It's notable that there are no tamper-evidence or tamper-prevention methods employed whatsoever. I was very surprised not to find any stickers, holograms, tamper-evident screws, etc. Here it is from all angles.
P1000728.jpg

P1000729.jpg

P1000730.jpg

There are a lot more mechanical bits than I expected and I'm a bit dubious about dismantling further. I'm pretty comfortable tearing apart normal locks and electronics, but all those gears and escapements make me nervous. I'm not sure I'd ever get it back together again. Nevertheless, many pads are exposed to be examined, so I'll learn more about it one way or another.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks