FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

S&G combination help please

<<

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:57 pm

S&G combination help please

I recently acquired a Fort Knox gun safe in a round about way. A local fellow bought a house in Arizona and the safe was in the house. He hauled it back to Wisconsin and had a friend unload it with his tractor/backhoe. All went well until it was set on some sort of dolly, I think it may have been one of those import wooden dollies. Of course, it gave way and over the safe went landing on it's front bending the spokes on the wheel and damaging the mechanical combination.

It was then given to the unloader as he is a gun buyer and he promptly brought it to my uncle who has opened (as it cut) old safes in the past. I can credit him to getting me interested in safes which ultimately led to the cannonball in my other thread. So then, this gun safe was then given to me.

First, the Fort Knox is about 20 25 years old according to the serial number. The spy proof dial ring was loose, the bolts had sheered off. The dial was also bent and would not rotate. They had messed around with it some trying to straighten the dial. Once I got it home I discovered the screw heads were behind the dial and would jamb it intermittently. The dial was pulled out some so there was play in and out. I think the dial was partially pulled off the spindle. I pried on the dial some and succeeded to get it quite straight and the screw heads out. That is when I started looking for manipulation and drilling information and discovered this site.

I tried to do some mapping of the wheels but there is a wobble in the spindle shaft so it wasn't going well. Then, after some phone calls and visits I discovered one of the guys had the combination. Well now, things are looking up! Sure enough, despite the loose dial ring I was successful on the first try and opened the safe. While it does have a relocker on the box thank goodness it did not have a secondary relocker. Now for the lock, I could use some guidance from you guys.

It is an S&G but I am not sure what model. There was a Fort Knox piece of sale literature for the safe inside but it just says "manipulation resistant S&G lock".
I see a new dial, ring, and spindle are available but I wonder if I should just change out the whole thing? While I have not pulled the box yet, everything looks ok from what I can tell. I wonder about the spline key as it seems to be crushed, probably from the hit. Others I have seen always stuck out some but I cannot grip this one at all.

Can you tell me what exact model this lock is? What model should I replace it with? I want to stay mechanical. Please share you knowledge and opinions.I see there are new take offs from gun safes that were converted to electronic on Ebay but most of them are black. This one was gold but I may change it over to black or the brushed chrome depending on what I do with the wheel.

For those who might be interested here is a look at the inside of the door. Lots of gears in those Knox's... and this is only half of them!

It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: S&G combination help please

I love the old bolt work, that's really neat. Your lock looks like the 6700 line, more than likely a 6730 Group 2.

There's an excellent video on youtube of how to properly install one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmLG8tNfWQ

thanks for the nice pics of the inside of that safe
Squelchtone

EDIT: just noticed your back cover sure enough says R6700 Series, so I'm gonna put my money on it being a 6730 if there are 3 wheels in there.
Last edited by Squelchtone on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 pm

That would be an S&G 6730, their most popular lock for that grade. From the description of what happened, the "box" should be ok, but to replace the spindle and dial, you are going to have to get that spline key out, which will most likely end up buggering that drive cam, so it would be wise to just replace the whole thing. yeah, glass relocker would have been very bad with all those active bolts!!! :) Great "freebie"
congrats
Jim.

Dammit Squelch! you beat me by three minutes! LOL
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies. The 6730 seems to be the most common in gun safes and there are plenty available online. Maybe I should make a cutaway out of the old one to add to my "dust collector" collection. Depending on what I run across, should I be thinking of switching to a different model S&G or switching brands? I am partial to S&G simply because most of my old safes have them.

With the fact that the dial ring was loose and the spindle could be moved to different angles, would that be an advantage for manipulation? Those of you who are good at it, how would a bent spindle affect your attack?
It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 am

Usually a bent spindle makes manipulation more difficult, especially if there is binding.

If making a cutaway, still recommend you replace the dial, spindle and spline key. You want your cutaway to look good. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 am

GWiens2001 wrote: You want your cutaway to look good. :)

Gordon

You had to up the bar... Like my life isn't anal enough as it is. :spinning:
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:17 am

keymaster1053 wrote:That would be an S&G 6730, their most popular lock for that grade. From the description of what happened, the "box" should be ok, but to replace the spindle and dial, you are going to have to get that spline key out, which will most likely end up buggering that drive cam, so it would be wise to just replace the whole thing. yeah, glass relocker would have been very bad with all those active bolts!!! :) Great "freebie"
congrats
Jim.

Dammit Squelch! you beat me by three minutes! LOL

You called it right, the spline key could not be removed without surgery. I opted to pull the dial as long as it was already moved. Then I was able to fab a tool to tap the spline key out from the back side.

By the looks of the spline key, and spindle, it would seem someone had been inside this lock before. Another thing that doesn't look right is the back side of the dial. notice how the edge of the casting is ground down with a rotary bit. It must have interfered with the dial ring. Would this have been from when the lock was installed or would it come from S&G like that? Seems odd.

I forgot to note the position of the spline key way to the numbers on the dial before pulling it. (duh) I searched on line and only found one post mentioning 41 as the location. Mocking the pieces back together seams to confirm that. Is the key way and dial position always the same or is it random? Naturally in order for this lock to maintain the same combination it would have to go back to the same position. When a new lock is made, does it matter? Please excuse a beginner's ignorance.

The dial ring bolts had been sheared so I had to drill and use an extractor. While not as good as feeling a door bolt retracting, having a broken bolt turn out is a very satisfying moment.

The spindle was bent at the dial. It straightened quite well and for a cutaway will do the job. I am tempted to buy a take off S&G lock from Ebay in the dark platinum chrome. It has a Liberty Safes escutcheon but that is easily replaced. I would like to find a matching door wheel, anyone have any leads on where I could find one? Otherwise I will powder coat the one I have. Suggestions for a new lock are welcome.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:32 am

How about a Chubb Mark IV Manifoil. Then you can practice your manipulation skills. And practice. And practice. (You still won't get it, but you sure can practice).

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 pm

You called it right, the spline key could not be removed without surgery. I opted to pull the dial as long as it was already moved. Then I was able to fab a tool to tap the spline key out from the back side.

By the looks of the spline key, and spindle, it would seem someone had been inside this lock before. Another thing that doesn't look right is the back side of the dial. notice how the edge of the casting is ground down with a rotary bit. It must have interfered with the dial ring. Would this have been from when the lock was installed or would it come from S&G like that? Seems odd.

Definately not from factory like that. someone MADE it fit. LOL

I forgot to note the position of the spline key way to the numbers on the dial before pulling it. (duh) I searched on line and only found one post mentioning 41 as the location. Mocking the pieces back together seams to confirm that. Is the key way and dial position always the same or is it random? Naturally in order for this lock to maintain the same combination it would have to go back to the same position. When a new lock is made, does it matter? Please excuse a beginner's ignorance.

The keyway and dial position is random. Usually one of four possibilities, just be careful to not have the last number of the combination the same as the drop in of the drive cam. Other than that, you are good.

The dial ring bolts had been sheared so I had to drill and use an extractor. While not as good as feeling a door bolt retracting, having a broken bolt turn out is a very satisfying moment.

Yes indeed!

The spindle was bent at the dial. It straightened quite well and for a cutaway will do the job. I am tempted to buy a take off S&G lock from Ebay in the dark platinum chrome. It has a Liberty Safes escutcheon but that is easily replaced. I would like to find a matching door wheel, anyone have any leads on where I could find one? Otherwise I will powder coat the one I have. Suggestions for a new lock are welcome.[/quote]

Ebay is the best place to find "the impossible to find" so if there is a matching door wheel out there, that's where it will be. Basically whatever you like is what you should go with, it makes it personalized. :)
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:46 pm

When replacing the lock and dial you will notice some letters on the cam wheel , " vu", "vd", 'hr", "hl" they stand for vertical up, vertical down, horizontal right and horizontal left, you r lock is installed vertical down (the location of the bolt) just line up the keyway with the corresponding marking on the cam and you are good to go. If you find the dial to be a little sloppy you can put some shim stock or washers between the lock case and mounting plate to take up the slack. The dial spindle length is critical so make sure it hasn't been cut down shorter than what you need. You can make an alignment tool to verify the lock case and dial ring are aligned properly.
Here's some info for you to go over if you already haven't:
http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/pdf/ ... _locks.pdf

Here's an alignment tool I banged together from some 5/16" threaded rod a couple of nuts and washers and a 12mm socket (fits inside an S&G dial ring) and a delrin bushing (fits inside a LaGard dial ring). I used some heat shrink tubing in order for it to fit snugly into the cam wheel.

The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

darijan

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Hello everyone I saw the topic and I had to highlight, 'cause I had a similar experience
lock that is safe is 6700 two classes. I think it is now replaced by some other (7XXX Series) model because manipulation of the lock have beter protection.
I went to intervene where someone tried to replace the lock and broke the spline key.
The only solution was to drill a small hole and so I managed to take it off .but unfortunately someone is trying in some way to separate the drive cam, a deformed 2 of 3 wells.
when the lock is returned to the safe problem was that later resulted in replacing combinations example: 60 -90 -60 was put to Opening safe.
the problem continues so that the number 1 (60) was 62.5. 2 number (90) has remained the same but the number 3 (60) is 58.59. lock is immediately replaced by the new S & G 8550 which would have consulted and you.
lock has an anti manipulation protection very durable easy to install and reliable.
I enclose a picture and I hope I helped a little.
  regards to all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Here's an update. I bought a new take off S&G spy proof lock assembly in black chrome from a Liberty Safe dealer for $36 off Ebay. I also ordered a new matching five spoke handle from Fort Knox. It may need a different length shaft but that is ok as the old one was chewed up from the set screw slipping so I'll make a new one. Now I am debating if I want to leave it the same color or change it. It will be a lot less work to stay the same color as then i don't have to redo the door Jamb. We'll see. The wife likes the burgundy but I was leaning towards a dark green to go with my light green Victor cannonball. Black always looks good too. Another thing to decide is if I want to go with new Fort Knox graphics or go hand lettered and striped. Hmmm...
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:18 pm

A new spindle will likely be needed.

You might want to watch this video.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmLG8tNfWQ[/youtube]
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 am

00247 wrote:.....I forgot to note the position of the spline key way to the numbers on the dial before pulling it. (duh) I searched on line and only found one post mentioning 41 as the location. Mocking the pieces back together seams to confirm that. Is the key way and dial position always the same or is it random? Naturally in order for this lock to maintain the same combination it would have to go back to the same position. When a new lock is made, does it matter? Please excuse a beginner's ignorance.....

Historically, the spline key slot on the spindle will align with 50 on the dial.
However, you will also find some nowadays that are set/aligned with 41.

But no, it is not random.
The factory will set them to one of the two... either 50 or 41.
Good observation btw. Most ppl wouldn't give it any thought.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks