FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Chubb safe

<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Chubb safe

Hi all,
Picked up this safe last week, locked of course. Been trying to get as much info on it as possible. I have learned that it could be a TRTL-30X6 with a S&G 4 wheel vault lock. I have confirmed that it has 4 wheels and that the contact points on the drive cam are at 6 - 12. the center of the handle to the center of the dial is 5 1/2". The thickness of the door to the door jamb on top is 3 1/2". On the opening side, the thickness to the locking bolt is 4 1/2"(measured these with a slime piece of paper)http://imgur.com/MzyufALhttp://imgur.com/GJ2qwInhttp://imgur.com/H5wlav1
Just wondered if anyone has seen a safe like this and what it could be. Any info on what type of lock would be helpful as well.
Bill.
<<

flywheel

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:45 pm

Re: Chubb safe

From the picture I can't tell if the dial is one piece or two. Does it turn as one piece or does the portion of the knob with reduced diameter turn separately?
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Pretty sure that a group 1 or group 2m lock...its gonna be tricky to get open..

If the dial pushes in at 0 you might be in trouble..
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. The dial doesn't push in at zero. The dial dose appear to have a cap on it. I'm pretty sure it is a S&G vault lock. Possibly 6500 series. This safe was probably from the mid 90's. That's all I know for now, but I have seen a safe just like this on kijiji in Quebec, but it was a Mosler - Taylor. Haven't seen another Chubb like this though.
<<

Altashot

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:16 pm

This safe is a class 4. It's a pretty serious high security safe, not for the inexperienced.
It has cross lock re-lockers, glass and thermal links.
Don't go poking holes in there, leave it to a reputable safe tech.
It only needs one hole to get it opened. One hole at the right place.

This slide show is from my collection. It's a Chubb-Mosler and Taylor but was built like a Chubb.
It was right around the time that Chubb dropped the other 2 names.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Altas ... deshow/CMT

I'll also provide the link to the story.

viewtopic.php?t=8256#p73741

M.
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info Altashot, I checked out your pics. Beautiful job you did on the safe. So my safe is just a later version of yours? I believe Chubb dropped Mosler-Taylor from the name plate and went with Chubb but I don't know when this occurred. Would you happen to know what type of lock this has? And I wasn't going to try any drilling. Solely a manipulation effort. Do you know if there is any literature out there concerning this safe. I knew it was a heavy bugger when I went and got it but 3100 lbs. That's a lot. No wonder I had so much fun. Besides being a class 4 safe was it called anything else. Sorry for all the questions but I am as curious as hell to find out what I can about it. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.
Bill
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:48 am

With the change index where it is and the contact points that you can feel it's not a vault lock. As such a skilled operator should be able to manipulate it open without too many problems.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 am

Hi all,
I started do some manipulation on this safe. I started out with an AWL approach and have posted my graph results.[img]http://imgur.com/qggL938[/img ]
Its looks like there is a gate at 75 - 76 and other indications at 3, 45 and 63. I will do AWL again to see if the results are consistent and use Hi/Lo to try and isolate the wheel/s.
Last edited by williamjcoates on Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Bill.

williamjcoates wrote:.....I started do some manipulation on this safe.....

It has begun!! :D Exciting stuff! :spinning:

Quite a bit of variation going on there. Could be the lock, could just be your
touch... which will get more refined/sensitive with each and every session.

But all in all, a very promising first graph! Nice job. I'll be watching.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks Oldfast,
I did the hi lo test for 75 which put it on the 4th wheel.
Also did the hi lo test for 63 which placed it on the third wheel.
I should have done another AWL test but will do that later. Not so concerned about the results as I am still finding my feel for the dial and the contact points. the RCP is relatively easy to feel while the LCP is much more difficult. I vary between coming up on it slow and feeling for a slight resistance and then I speed up the twist to feel for a harder contact for verification. I think at times I can feel the contact of the nose coming into the cam gap from the left as well. Not sure what's going on there. But as you said my touch should get more refined with each session..
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 pm

I just assumed... but I suppose I should ask...
is this your first experience with manipulation?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

torontosafecracker

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:29 am

Hey! another Ontario Spinner!!

Awesome. Keep up the good work.

If you need a hand give me a shout :)
<<

torontosafecracker

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:49 am

Also yes, S&G Vault Lock, Glass plate and Pretty Thick walls/doors. The dial is removable but I wouldn't recommend drilling.
I have manipulated one and drilled another that had 2 locks on it. Same safe though.
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:22 am

Oldfast wrote:I just assumed... but I suppose I should ask...
is this your first experience with manipulation?

Hi Oldfast,
Yes this is my first attempt. I have a S&G 6700 mounted on a board which I worked with to better understand the mechanics of how these locks functioned. Especially noting how the nose makes contact with the drive cam. Obviously the lock I am manipulating now is different in design but the mechanical principals should be similar. I think I really need to tighten up on my readings of the cam gate which in turn should produce a graph with a lot less variations.. :discus:
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:38 am

torontosafecracker wrote:Hey! another Ontario Spinner!!

Awesome. Keep up the good work.

If you need a hand give me a shout :)

Hi Torontosafecracker,
I assume you are located in Toronto? I'm in Port Colborne. Office in Burlington and do a lot work in Toronto. Great to know you are nearby. :smile: So you have had some experience with this type of safe? I found it hard to nail down exactly what I had here. I believe it is a category 4 TRTL-30x6. This based on all the info I have received from the helpful folks on the message boards. Would love to get ahold of a manual or something that supplied more info. Especially interested the actual weight of this beast. And while I am at it. Do you know of any shops nearby that sell used S&G 6700 series locks and parts. Need to get a drive cam for one of my locks.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks