FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Chubb safe

<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Chubb safe

Thanks Femurat,
Sounds like you have a different lock. I know for sure that my RCP is at 13 while the left is around 6-8 depending on how screwed up my technique is that day. But good to know. I think you can narrow down the type of lock just based on contact points. Stands to reason that different locks have different length levers and nose configurations.
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 24, 2015 7:45 am

Hi all,
Just a quick update on my manipulation challenge. Still at it. I have been going back over the graphs I made since I started working on this lock. Looking for consistent areas. I have also tried using a contact mic with varying degrees of success. I believe that this lock has a certain amount of play that has been interfering with my getting an accurate read on the LCP. Interestingly enough, I have been able to get a consistent reading of the RCP now that my touch is gentler. I am also using a program on my computer with a web cam that super imposes a vernier scale over the dial markings which I read off the monitor. This has greatly improved my ability to graph a more accurate result. I am now going to work at graphing only the RCP and see what I see. I have suspected gate locations on this lock at 14 & 94 which I want to explore further. If I just concentrate on RCP readings, without getting messed up on the LCP readings I just might be able to get a clearer picture of what this lock is trying to tell me. I will post a graph of my results as soon as I complete this test.
Bill
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed May 27, 2015 11:31 am

Looking forward to the update Bill :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks Oldfast and everyone else who have showed an interest in this endeavor of mine. Haven't had time to do any spinning on the safe lately but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about it. I came across these pictures awhile ago of a chubb mosler taylor safe which looks exactly like mine. Except mine is just labeled Chubb. Later model I imagine. There were also pictures showing the lock.

I wouldn't be too surprised that My safe might have the same lock as shown in these pics. Anyone have an idea on what this one is? Maybe even some pics of this type of lock with the cover off...<:
Hoping to get back to working on my safe real soon...
Bill
Last edited by williamjcoates on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rodneybu0

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:43 pm

The way I was taught to manipulate was to manipulate the third wheel on its own as it is often the first wheel to indicate. Then run wheels 1 and 2 together and when you find another number work out which wheel it is on. Then it is just a case of dialling the two known numbers and working round the dial 2 numbers at a time till the lock opens.
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:45 am

rodneybu0 wrote:The way I was taught to manipulate was to manipulate the third wheel on its own as it is often the first wheel to indicate. Then run wheels 1 and 2 together and when you find another number work out which wheel it is on. Then it is just a case of dialling the two known numbers and working round the dial 2 numbers at a time till the lock opens.

Hi, Thanks for the input. Always nice to get input from the members here. In this case the lock has 4 wheels. Although I have got some indications of what a couple of numbers might be I am still working on my manipulation techniques and don't really trust my results. I have just received two pics showing the innards of a lock which is mounted on the same type of safe as mine. Except my safe is labeled a CHUBB and the lock in these two pics is from a CHUBB-MOSLER-TAYLOR. The safe itself though is identical to mine.
Anyone have an idea what type of S&G lock this is?
Hey Femurat, it looks like this lock here is probably closer to what I have. The weird thing is the RCP. No wonder I couldn't get a decent reading. If that thing pivots when you make contact with it...
Any ideas guys on the function of this lock?
Bill
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:07 pm

It's not an S&G lock. That is a Chubb 4 wheel lock. They can be manipulated but are a very long way from a 3 wheel (or 4 wheel) S&G (small case) to do in terms of difficulty.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

williamjcoates

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi oldlock,
I believe the dial on this particular lock was an S&G. Just assumed that the lock would be S&G as well. Do you have any more info on Chubb 4 wheel locks?
Bill
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:11 pm

I'd love to hear more discussion on that additional piece below the lever arm.

Its' purpose? Its' interaction with the drive cam? I've never dealt with that before.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:39 pm

williamjcoates wrote:Hi oldlock,
I believe the dial on this particular lock was an S&G. Just assumed that the lock would be S&G as well. Do you have any more info on Chubb 4 wheel locks?
Bill

Pictures are here. http://imgur.com/a/Y1Fkf Unfortunately I have seen both S&G and Diebold dials that look like that and there are no other markings on it. I have a couple of S&G locks that are very similar/identical to that as well.

Nickel finish instead of brass

Oldfast wrote:I'd love to hear more discussion on that additional piece below the lever arm.

Its' purpose? Its' interaction with the drive cam? I've never dealt with that before.

It is so the drive cam can push the bolt back instead of the wheels pushing on the fence where it may cause damage.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

rodneybu0

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:40 pm

That lock looks like the anti manipulation version which once the combination is dialled you have to push in the dial
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:44 pm

Mine or the one that williamjcoates posted?

<<

rodneybu0

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:12 am

Looking at your lock again I don't think it is the manipulation proof version like the S&G 8500
<<

rodneybu0

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:38 am

That lock would be very difficult to manipulate as the drop arm doesn't have a spring on it and is gravity operated so the contact points would be very light.
<<

Riyame

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:06 am

Yea, it is just a straight 4 wheel vault lock. Around 1940-50.

Here is its bigger brother from pre 1920s. Offset drive with 3 gears total to make things even more interesting.

PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks