FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LIPS VAGO safe with S&G lock I may get

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:30 am

LIPS VAGO safe with S&G lock I may get

I've been sent these pictures of a safe that may be for sale. Looks like there's a key too but I'm not sure. The owner should have the key and the combination. It's in an office at the first floor that is being sold so the're selling all the furniture. I'm going to make an offer to buy this safe. Approx dimensions are: 60 cm x 45 cm x 140 cm. It may have been bought in 1970 - 1980.
The Doria 3 may be the actual equivalent of this old model.
I have 3 questions: 1) how much does this beast weight? 2) what's its approximate value? 3) how much could cost moving it to my garage, in the same city of this office?

I really don't need a safe, but heck, who doesn't want one?

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:13 am

Re: LIPS VAGO safe with S&G lock I may get

femurat wrote:Image

I really don't need a safe, but heck, who doesn't want one?

Indeed. My thoughts exactly :D Can't help you, I'm afraid. But best of luck with buying it. No doubt, it's well worth it.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 am

A quick update: this morning I had the pleasure to see the safe in person.
In these 40 years of service the lock has never been inspected by a tech. The boss was not present so I couldn't ask him if the safe was still for sale and its price.

It's 125 cm tall, 58 wide and 50 thick. I've tried to shake it an it moved just a little but it was still resting on the floor, so I was not able to lift one side. It may be bolted to the ground.

While I was there I was very excited, and spent 10 minutes on my knees spinning the lock. The dial has some play and makes some noises, like it's dragging against something, but it's barely noticeable. It has 3 wheels and contact points are at 5 and at 13 and something. I did a super quick "all wheels left" checking every 5 numbers, just to see if I was lucky. I noticed an interesting area at 80 but then checked every increment around it and found it was just a low uniform area. Then the person that let me enter to see and measure the safe came back and I had to leave.

I'll keep you updated :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 am

Will keep my fingers crossed that you get it, femurat! :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:40 am

Thanks for the empathy Gordon, but I have a feeling that I'm not getting it. Dunno why but I think so.

Cheers :)
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 pm

femurat wrote:Thanks for the empathy Gordon, but I have a feeling that I'm not getting it. Dunno why but I think so.

That's a real shame. I was so looking forward to your updates on this. I really hope it happens for you.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri May 22, 2015 8:16 am

I just got a call from them. They threw the safe away with everything that was in the office. They didn't want to sell it because it was closed and they couldn't find the key any more.

:cry:
<<

Fred B

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 22, 2015 8:25 am

That Really Sucks !!!
:hbg:
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 25, 2015 3:05 am

Well, encouraged by your replies I called them again and I was told the moving company was not able to take the safe away. Two people went there with a cart but the safe was too heavy and they could not lift it. It was not bolted to the floor because they moved it a little but were not able to lift it with the "soft wheel" cart they had. I wasn't there to see so don't have other info.
They took away everything else in the office but the safe. They'll came back with a "hard wheel" cart to lift the safe and take it to the dumpster.

The nice thing is I can go there again and inspect the safe further in the next days. Who knows, I may be able to play with it a little and convince them to let me have it. At this point I'm more worried about moving it... so this visit may convince me I don't want it.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 26, 2015 7:27 am

This morning I went to that office and was allowed to stay there a couple hours. I wanted to manipulate the combo lock first and then, if succeed, ask them to look for the key again.
I started by counting the wheels and confirmed they were three. Checked contact points around 50 and they were at 5 and at 13 and a half.
I choose the all wheels left every two increments approach.
Needless to say I was a bit nervous and, as you can see from the first part of the first graph, I wrote the numbers wrong: I wrote from zero to five instead of from zero to ten. The reading were right, in fact after a dozen readings I was at 24 and decided I already had my interesting area and it was better to check that. Best scenario I could have found one number. Worst scenario I had to start again, but it was a win anyway because I like clear graphs and this one was already screwed up.

I started again with all wheels left, from zero to ten, checking both contact points at every increment.
I confirmed there was a very interesting area, a gate, at 6.5 - 7 Left.
I dialed the test combos to find which wheel it was on and was a bit confused. The test with a higher number suggested the gate may be on wheel #2 or #3. The test with a lower number suggested the gate may be on wheel #2. I was a bit confused by this result, but the gate was there for sure.
I choose to park wheel #2 at this gate, and to park wheel #1 there too. This way I could have found quickly the gate on wheel #3. Then it was just a matter of brute forcing wheel #1.

The gate I found was on wheel #2, so before starting to map wheel #3, I did a quick test to be sure to find the center of the gate while dialing Right. I checked just the left contact point, with all wheels right, between 10 and 4. I found the gate center was 5.5-6 Right.

I've been there for less than 40 minutes and I already had one number. I was very happy.
I started graph #2 with wheels 1 and 2 at 5.5-6 right and mapped wheel #3 around left, starting at 6.
Something strange was happening while I was moving away from 6: the contact points were widening. By the time I was at 20 I was thinking about starting over again. I decided to continue to map wheel #3 anyway. It was a quick process and I could have found its gate Sure it could have been just a waste of time, but it was little time.
After a few minutes I was at 36 and found a strange click while passing the contact point at 5... I went on and the dial was stuck. I couldn't believe it, I had already opened it!
I tried to force the dial a little to be sure it was not just resisting, and it was stuck at 95. I slowly went back to 10 and went again at 95 and the dial was stuck again.
I felt very very happy and couldn't believe it. I was worried to move the dial, in case I screw up something, but I had to try.
Dialed the first two wheels at Right 6 and then moved the third at Left 36. Back to zero and it opened again!
It took less than one hour, including a quick phone call I received while I was starting.

So I left the dial stuck at 95 and put a piece of tape on it and wrote "Don't touch". I asked for the key and they confirmed they don't have it.
I'll probably be allowed to go there again to pick the lever lock. Now they think I can open the safe so they can get their papers and documents back. Then they may give me the safe... if I manage to move it away without damaging the floor or the stairs. I'll think about this later, now I'd like to open it.
The problem is I have limited experience with lever locks. Here are a couple of pictures of the keyhole, I wrote the approximate dimensions in millimeters in red. It's quite deep, like 8-10 cm (4 inches).
Does anybody have an idea about what lock could be there? What are my options?

Thanks for any suggestion :)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue May 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Whew!! VERY excited for you. Nice job! Very nice.

Wish I could help with the lever lock... but I have zero experience.
I hope someone here can give you some insights to finish the job.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:17 am

I went there today because I was informed a safe technician was going to open it. I stood there while he worked on the safe.
He made a 12 mm diameter hole in a precise location, with just a hand drill and many many drill bits. Took him 2 hours. Then the handle turned and the safe opened. I've been told he charged 350 euro.

When I told him that I manipulated open the combo lock he was shocked, and even broke the drill bit he was using. He didn't believe me at the beginning. But then I explained my hobby and the process I used to open the lock and he changed his mind. I asked him, an experienced safe tech that works in the field since the '80, if there's market for manipulating open dial locks or lever locks. He answered he's never learned it because it requires too much time to learn and to practice, while drilling is quick and easy.
He was a very nice person and I invited him to eat lunch together. It was a pleasure to listen to his stories about safes.

Since there was no key, I got the lever lock as a present. Now the safe has a big hole and lost its charm, but he told me that if I want it in my garage he'll be able to move it there for me for 200 euro. He'll repair it for another 200 euro. Now that's broken, the company that own the safe will probably trash it so I could get it for free. Guess what? I'm just keeping the lock. Not because I don't want to invest 400 euro in a safe that's worth 2000, but because there's no room for it in my garage. That's what my girlfriend thinks, so it must be true.

<<

just1pick+open

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Great stuff femurat...Love the updates :smile:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Great stuff Femurat. Thanks for sharing it with us from start to finish.

I wish things had turned out a bit different for ya on the lock portion of it, but hey...
a successful spin, a free lock, and a nice conversation with a fellow lockie. Nice!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:36 am

Thanks guys. I asked permission to take the combo lock and they told me I can have it before they scrap the safe. Can't wait to go there and take it.
In the meantime enjoy some pictures of the lever lock. I think it could have been made by LIPS-VAGO itself. It has nothing stamped on it.

Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks