FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kaba Simplex 1000 - Worth?

<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:49 pm

Kaba Simplex 1000 - Worth?

I've seen these on eBay and I know how much they go for on there but I'm not sure what my setup is worth it's two working locks with a lot of parts, but not a 100% complete setup.

These work fine I've reset them to the factory default and if you know anything about them it would be easy to get them 100% parts and good to go. Looking to sell them on ebay as a pair but I need to know what the value is. If any of you are interested PM me, if not they are going to go on eBay. Like I said I've seen what incomplete/For parts ones go for and what complete ones go for I'm just trying to get a ball park of what I'm sitting on. These were found in a box of stuff I got years ago in Iraq and I rebuilt them the best I could with what I had. What you see is everything I have for them and exactly how it will go up on eBay.

Thanks.

Kaba-4193.jpg

The tumbelers are intact and working, one is missing the threads, the key works, the reset wrench and key work on one of the locks, the other needs the special Kaba tool
Kaba-4194.jpg

Mounting Parts
Kaba-4195.jpg

Door strikes and what not, one is semi complete one is just a shell
Kaba-4196.jpg

Mounting plates and knobs, as you can see not complete
Kaba-4201.jpg

Instructions
Kaba-4199.jpg

Top view one on right has external combo reset screw access left one has rear combo reset
Kaba-4197.jpg

Backside same thing, both have different hardward on them
Kaba-4198.jpg

Front view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Re: Kaba Simplex 1000 - Worth?

Ok, this is not the helpful advice you're looking for, but I noticed the key in the first pic. I always found it interesting how KABA keeps down cost by stamping the warding into the key blank instead of milling them.

How much did you see complete units selling for on eBay these days?

While it probably wouldn't help sales on eBay, might help sell better on here to mention they're the one that is susceptible to the bypass with a very strong Neodymium magnet from the outside if you put it in the right place. Needs one with a VERY strong pull. Like in the range of 300-500 lbs if I remember right.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:53 pm

I thinks it's funny how that key will work on every last kaba simplex lock in existence... It only lets you access the combo reset or remove the lock, but you'd have to be able to get on the backside of the door so I guess it's not a huge deal.

<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:18 pm

MBI wrote:While it probably wouldn't help sales on eBay, might help sell better on here to mention they're the one that is susceptible to the bypass with a very strong Neodymium magnet from the outside if you put it in the right place. Needs one with a VERY strong pull. Like in the range of 300-500 lbs if I remember right.

It may or may not be vulnerable to the magnet. Depends on how old it is. I'm not sure when they changed it, but the last time I had a newer one to play with it wasn't vulnerable. They switched to a non-ferrous metal.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:21 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
MBI wrote:While it probably wouldn't help sales on eBay, might help sell better on here to mention they're the one that is susceptible to the bypass with a very strong Neodymium magnet from the outside if you put it in the right place. Needs one with a VERY strong pull. Like in the range of 300-500 lbs if I remember right.

It may or may not be vulnerable to the magnet. Depends on how old it is. I'm not sure when they changed it, but the last time I had a newer one to play with it wasn't vulnerable. They switched to a non-ferrous metal.

You're absolutely right, thanks for the clarification. I just assumed this one had the vulnerability since it was from back when he was in Iraq, but you're right, that's not a guarantee it has the old bypass flaw.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:25 pm

They might both be subject to magnets, not sure how to check.

<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Without a strong magnet, it would be difficult to know for sure. You could test with a weaker magnet if you take the combo chamber apart. But it's crimped together, so unless you are really concerned I wouldn't worry about it.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 pm

LOL yeah I've taken apart those chambers before to clean them out a royal PITA. I was going to put these on my door in Colorado then we moved to base housing/rental/lease type and I see them going cheap enough that if I ever wanted to do it I could buy them later right now I'm trying to cut down weight and make a little money, ebay is my frienimy right now, I make a lot on there and spend even more.

<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Wolf, you have one entry set and one exit device trim. If you had a latch it looks like you might have the makins' of a complete cylindrical lockset, and you have a complete exit device set. You can go onto the KABA site and get exploded views of all their locks. I rebuild 3/4 of these things nearly every single week. Now THAT'S a good time! lol
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:13 pm

mastersmith wrote:Wolf, you have one entry set and one exit device trim. If you had a latch it looks like you might have the makins' of a complete cylindrical lockset, and you have a complete exit device set. You can go onto the KABA site and get exploded views of all their locks. I rebuild 3/4 of these things nearly every single week. Now THAT'S a good time! lol

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Dude, you're not from Utah! :wink:
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:33 am

you can get the magnet from one of our sponsors ;)

http://hackerstickers.com/product/bypas ... ton-locks/
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:

2012 if i recall correctly
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:you can get the magnet from one of our sponsors ;)

http://hackerstickers.com/product/bypas ... ton-locks/

That is actually a pretty good price, though think their size specs are off. Think it is 2 x 1 x 1/2". With a N52 neodium magnet, that would get you 96.2 pounds of lifting force. The next price I found was from K&J Magnetics (my favorite online magnet source), at $35.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:40 pm

So if I were to put this on eBay starting at $100 with a buy it now of $150 would I be asking to much or shooting to low?

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Sparrows just released a magnet for this lock. They call it magneto and even have a new video up on their new youtube channel. I wold personally be shit worried to have a magnet like that. I mean just think.. accidentally put it in your pocket next your iphone and wammm iphone is dead or laptop hard drivers lol.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks