FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old S&G Safe

<<

cajunshooter

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: Old S&G Safe

Oldfast, (and other contributors) I ran into something interesting tonight on my safe opening. I finally got the safe unloaded this weekend and moved into the batcave in the basement. I was cleaning as much of the old dust and grime off of it and felt this lump, so I looked closer and scratched off some of the paint. It looks like this safe might have been drilled a long time ago. This lump looks like a hole that has been spot welded closed and then ground down and painted over. The thing that puzzles me is where the hole is located, 3 1/2" from the dial ring or 5 1/2" from the center of the dial itself. It is actually closer to the bolt handle than the dial, so not sure what the purpose was.
Please take a look at the pics and see what you think.
thanks ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.”
Arthur Schopenhauer
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Again, I'm at a loss.... knowing absolutely nothing about drilling.

But yeah, it does seem odd being that far from the dial. Hmmm.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 pm

I wonder if they punched out the linkages so that they didn't need to open the combo lock and just turn the handle to open it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

cajunshooter

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Riyame wrote:I wonder if they punched out the linkages so that they didn't need to open the combo lock and just turn the handle to open it.

How or what would you punch out on the linkage? Im not following, explain further.

thanks ron :armed:
“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.”
Arthur Schopenhauer
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 pm

If there is a bar attached to the handle of the that goes to the safe lock they might have drilled a hole to push that bar back so they can just turn the handle without having to open the lock.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

cajunshooter

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:51 am

Right now the handle is loose inside of the door. I can manipulate it so that it catches on what feels like the bolt linkage, but the bolt handle is definitely loose and flops around when you turn it. It will turn about 3/4 of a turn and then catch on the bolt linkage or something that feels solid, it cant be turned any further after that. I have tried it in both directions and the same thing. I also used a feeler gauge to feel the bolts in the door and they are definitely engaged into the holes in the door.

Im making slow progress with manipulation, the old dial sticks and binds a lot, but have definitely found one combo number on the wheel. The left and right gates were obvious with the first manipulation, so now on with the next two.

Thanks for the input. Ron

:armed:
Arthur Schopenhauer
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks