FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Rubber band for contact point reading?

<<

L4R3L2

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Rubber band for contact point reading?

On some very sensitive dials, I've tried using this trick. A thin rubber band with just enough friction to turn the dial to the points of contact. The rubber of the band offers friction, and elastic buffer to help prevent riding over the contact points once touched. The amount of tension can be easily controlled for consistency. The band is held with just enough tension to turn the dial, but slide along the bottom of the dial when resistance overcomes the friction.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Rubber band for contact point reading?

Thanks mate, that looks like it could be a useful trick to add to the bag. What I usually do with those ones is just use the tip of my index or middle finger to turn the dial, and as you say, wait for the slip and/or watch the dial like a hawk to see where it sort of balks, a bit like a fishing indicator momentarily hanging up in the current when a trout strikes.

I'd be the first to admit that while this often works, it's not foolproof by any means and sometimes I'm just too heavy handed to get decent readings even with one finger.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks