FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pull La Gard dial

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Pull La Gard dial

I have here a La Gard dial which I would like to use, but where the spindle is to short. And I have a S&G dial with a long (actually to much long) spindle. I would like to insert a piece from the S&G spindle into the La Gard dial, for which I first have to remove the spindle. I want to do this without damage to the dial. StrongArm gives for La Gard a more complex discription than for standard S&G. For S&G it worked for me rather well to just tighten the drive cam until the spindle falls out. I am unsure if this will work with LG. So is it feasible without damage to the dial? What method do you recommend?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Pull La Gard dial

I did this with one of my LaGard 1777 dials... the spindle is press fit into the dial from the front of the dial. You can take the black cover off the dial front and then hammer it out from the back side. It kinda looks like there's a retaining pin holding it in, but it's a fooler... it's just a groove for an alignment ridge that's molded onto the spindle, so don't waste your time trying to get that out. I replaced mine with a spindle from another newer model 1777 and it's solid enough for practice work... I wouldn't do this to a dial that was going to get real-world use. You might have to modify to use an S&G spindle...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Re: Pull La Gard dial

Thanks. Problem solved. Punched out the spindle from the front 5mm and it is now long enough.

Spindle straightened, lock mounted. Will go tomorrow to someone interested in manipulation.

PS: What material is this spindle? Zamak?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks