FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Purpose?

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Purpose?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223354391244

What is the purpose of this metal piece? It blocks the view through the key change hole, but its shape is so elaborate that this can't be the only purpose.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Re: Purpose?

I don't think the model number is correct on that lock.

I don't know what the purpose of the plate is but when the bolt is extended the lever raises up and takes the plate with it, which would unblock the CKH.

Now that I think about it that might not be the correct dial and ring for that lock. It could be that it is a zero change lock. When you put the change key in the wheel pack the key prevents the lever from falling into the drive cam and screwing up the change.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 pm

mdc5150 wrote:I don't think the model number is correct on that lock.

I don't know what the purpose of the plate is but when the bolt is extended the lever raises up and takes the plate with it, which would unblock the CKH.

Now that I think about it that might not be the correct dial and ring for that lock. It could be that it is a zero change lock. When you put the change key in the wheel pack the key prevents the lever from falling into the drive cam and screwing up the change.

There was a post on LP101 quite a few years back about this type of lock. It was marked Diebold. Can't remember the details or find the post but IIRC the plate was to keep the lever up when the change key was inserted.

I have one marked Diebold but it was made by S&G. It has their case style and where the model number usually is it is marked Diebold but the old UL sticker says S&G. No dial for it unfortunately.

Click on the picture to be brought to an original where you can enlarge it to see the details:

Back cover:

Lever up

Lever down

Bolt retracted
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 am

Thank's Riyame. That is a nice feature.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 am

Hi Riyame, If you're referring to a post of mine on LP101, in that case the plate covered the change hole, preventing a user to change the combination. To change it you have to remove the back cover, but then you have to break the seals, leaving evidence that you did it.

Cheers :)
<<

safecracker33

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Does it block access to the ckh when the bolt is extended? or just when retracted?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:52 pm

femurat wrote:Hi Riyame, If you're referring to a post of mine on LP101, in that case the plate covered the change hole, preventing a user to change the combination. To change it you have to remove the back cover, but then you have to break the seals, leaving evidence that you did it.

Cheers :)

Not your post, this was some other guy looking for info on his lock in the USA. On this one it only blocks the CK when the lever drops.

safecracker33 wrote:Does it block access to the ckh when the bolt is extended? or just when retracted?

It only blocks access once the lever drops. It only allows access when the lever is up. As I said in my post, I believe we found the use of the plate was to hold up the lever when changing the combination by riding on the change key.

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Maybe someone who owns this S&G lock can tell if the plate works the same there. *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*
<<

Riyame

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:17 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Maybe someone who owns this S&G lock can tell if the plate works the same there. *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*

I know the one in the auction and mine works the way I mentioned. When a change key is inserted it will not allow the lever to fall down. The change key hole is directly in line when the combination is dialed to the opening index. That means the lever will fall down and needs to be kept up to change the combination. On normal ones the change key hole is offset to the left side of the case because of the change index.

Also, if you are interested, I will sell you mine for cheaper than theirs is listed :lol:

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks, not unusual enough for me. Someone from Germany, who recently registered here, has one and I tried to get him started to write here something.
<<

safecracker33

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

My first thought was that it was for a zero change lock but the fact that the ebay lock had a changing index on the dial threw me, probably not the original dial and ring.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Yes, probably not the original. The seller has a second lock which is also a "6720", but looks like a 8410.
<<

Riyame

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Yes, probably not the original. The seller has a second lock which is also a "6720", but looks like a 8410.

The silver dial one? That is a 6700 series. There is no knob in the middle of the dial and the drive cam is normal. It also has a normal case back.

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:27 am

He has sold it already. It was with a black dial.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks