FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

what type of safe or inner compartment

<<

AL usher69

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 am

what type of safe or inner compartment

I asked about the safe lock here. What I'm wondering is what was this door used for. The door is 1/2 solid steel and it's 12 3/4" by 8 1/4" it has 4 screw holes at the one end and the locking mechanism at the other. I would love to used it as a hidden wall safe. I'm open for any opinions on what it could be used for and what it was. I'm thinking it might have been a safe within a safe plus it has that plate with the numbers on it. Thanks for any help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am

Re: what type of safe or inner compartment

Safe deposit door.
<<

AL usher69

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:35 am

L4R3L2 wrote:Safe deposit door.

I was thinking that might of been it. I'm still thinking of making a wall safe out of it I really like the lock and I'm still trying to manipulate it. It's a tough cookie to crack.. thanks for your answer
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:01 pm

could it be a safe used by the front desk of a hotel to keep guests valuables in? maybe they had a bank of them?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:21 pm

I saw in a hotel in Dublin a wall of deposit boxes for customers with the old Rosengrens locks. So it could be, but I think the size and the number 3014 is to much for a hotel.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

AL usher69

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:15 pm

I figured because of the number on it that it might be something like that. I'm still thinking about making a wall safe from it. I really like the lock and the fact that I haven't came close to finding the right contact point makes it even more enjoyable trying. I'm going to take the advice about getting a guitar p/u amp so maybe listening for the information I need to manipulate it. Again guys thank you for help it's always appreciated..
<<

L4R3L2

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Almost certainly a friction fence lock, meaning that there will only be one contact point (right), felt only as the dial is turned counter-clockwise ("left").
<<

AL usher69

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:29 am

L4R3L2 wrote:Almost certainly a friction fence lock, meaning that there will only be one contact point (right), felt only as the dial is turned counter-clockwise ("left").

We came to the conclusion that it wasn't friction fence on here. I am almost certain that it has only one contact point.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 am

The lock you showed us already has not a friction fence. If it is a different lock, then it probably has.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

AL usher69

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:01 am

MartinHewitt wrote:The lock you showed us already has not a friction fence. If it is a different lock, then it probably has.

It was the one I showed before and it has been a lock I may never get..
<<

L4R3L2

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 am

AL usher69 wrote:
L4R3L2 wrote:Almost certainly a friction fence lock, meaning that there will only be one contact point (right), felt only as the dial is turned counter-clockwise ("left").

We came to the conclusion that it wasn't friction fence on here. I am almost certain that it has only one contact point.

Ah! I didn't connect the dots. So, it's THAT lock. I can see why you're only feeling one contact point. But, from what I see, it would still be the right contact point you are now feeling.

The Yale OC4 lock I just manipulated had a spring lever fence, and yet I was only able to faintly detect the right contact point on that one too. In fact, except for the lack of a geared feeling, I swore it was an OC5 during manipulation.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:46 am

AL usher69 wrote:It was the one I showed before and it has been a lock I may never get..

Sometimes everything just happens to line up so precisely, that even a Group 2 lock may just as well be Group 1!
<<

AL usher69

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:14 pm

L4R3L2 wrote:
AL usher69 wrote:It was the one I showed before and it has been a lock I may never get..

Sometimes everything just happens to line up so precisely, that even a Group 2 lock may just as well be Group 1!

It's like there's nothing there at all. My s&g on my gardall I can hear it click when I just pass the cp and the Yale it's turns so smooth there is nothing at least to me to give any indication I'm on or going by the cp. The good thing is I don't stop trying and I don't lose. Thanks
<<

SafecrackinSammmy

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:45 pm

The number plate suggest that it was used in a safe deposit nest versus an inner door for a safe.

Possibly it was used by the bank for storing the safe deposit box renters records/keys for un rented boxes etc. in the vault.

May have also been storage for bank tellers bulk cash in the vault.

The combination lock and door thickness/bolt work point to something other than just a standard SD box.
<<

AL usher69

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:35 am

SafecrackinSammmy wrote:The number plate suggest that it was used in a safe deposit nest versus an inner door for a safe.

Possibly it was used by the bank for storing the safe deposit box renters records/keys for un rented boxes etc. in the vault.

May have also been storage for bank tellers bulk cash in the vault.

The combination lock and door thickness/bolt work point to something other than just a standard SD box.

I'm thinking of turning it into a wall safe I just really like how sturdy it is
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks