FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Changing the Combination on a Movable Fly Dial Lock?

<<

High_Order1

Post Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Changing the Combination on a Movable Fly Dial Lock?

Hi!

I have searched this forum using the board tool, and with a google site search.

I am certain I just didn't find it, and I apologize for not posting and reading more before asking.

I am looking for the actual manual or publication for changing the combination on the cheaper security containers that use wheel packs with multiple rows of holes and a swaged peg as a fly/driver.

I know that I can simply move a peg, then dial and park until I see what the combo changes to, but I had hopes perhaps there was a book or guide on it, because I'm not sure what dead zones and other pitfalls I need to look out for, and I really just don't have the time to play with it until I learn. (But, as soon as I learn what it's actually called, I'll hit the auction sites for one I can mount and then spend some time playing with.)

I get one annular 'row' of holes, but each degree on this particular one has a line of holes from the shaft outward.

I forget the name of the safe it came out of, but it is in the vein of Cannon/Stack On.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate question, of if I can't ask questions yet. I will try to check back in soon to see responses.

Thanks!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:55 am

Re: Changing the Combination on a Movable Fly Dial Lock?

Hi! Do you have a photo of this lock?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

madsamurai

Post Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:07 am

I assume you're talking about something like this?
These are not 'movable fly' locks but direct entry locks with pin change. Typically, the manufacturer doesn't want you to change the combinations on these and won't provide instructions to do so... changing it will likely void your warranty. However, if you don't care about such things, it's pretty easy to grind out the pins and replace them -- I used a cylinder top pin and peened it against a hard surface to sort of mushroom both ends a bit until it held tight. You need to keep the new pin in the same row of pins as the others in the lock so they can make contact with each other, and you can't put a pin in the same position as another wheel it touches. You'll just have to dial it with the lock open and to find out the combo after you change pegs. If you want to get fancy, you can get a tap and thread all those holes and replace them with short allen screws (with the tall heads) and then you can change it more easily and be able to change more often or experiment with different combinations if you like. However you do it, make sure it's in solid and won't wiggle loose (those pins take a beatin' if you spin fast), and test your combo a few times while the safe is open to be sure you've got it right.
<<

High_Order1

Post Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:57 am

That's essentially it. Thanks!
I asked the guy if he had taken a picture of it before reassembly, and he hadn't. (Where we were at the time cameras were not permitted.)

My plan was to do essentially as you said, and use hex headed screws to effect the change, but after posting, he decided to simply clean it, put it back in, and then perhaps look for a better system (with the problems that will also bring).

My curiosity though, yours looks pretty straightforward. On this one, for every pin position you have, there is a linear row of holes radiating outward from the shaft. I assumed it was some geometry problem that I just couldn't see in my head at the time. What is the purpose? (I have ms paint if that will help LOL).

Thanks for the responses!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks