FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old safes, no combos

<<

Quejano

Post Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:39 pm

Old safes, no combos

I am guilty of choosing to collect safes. You might not know, but they're heavy! The seven I now have average around 3,500 pounds.

Anyway, I have a HIBBARD RODMAN ELY No. 5 that is locked up securely. I am thinking of hauling it to my local waterjet cutting facility to have a smooth 24" diameter hole cut in the back so that I can access the lock.
If I find success, I will do a similar effort with my Ely Norris and Diebold safes.

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:54 pm

Re: Old safes, no combos

Hi, I never heard about this company. Looks like a very nice safe.

If you ask here about how to open this safe the only answer is to manipulate the locks. If the lock is suitable for this I do prefer this totally over every method especially if it is a collector's item. Nobody here will answer your question, because probably no one here opened a safe with a waterjet and we do not like destructive openings.

Do you know which locks are installed in this safe? My guess would be two friction fence locks and maybe an L-2 like in the Victor safes?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Visitor

Post Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:42 am

Re: Old safes, no combos

My answer to the question being "what do you think" is why such a big hole and have you contacted your local friendly safe opener for a price?
I don't know the cost of water jetting but having a 2' round hole cut into the back and scrapping the safe in the process must be on par with paying a professional to open it without damage by the time you've cleaned the water and grit out your labour alone including getting it to said cutter and back must be more expensive.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks