FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old stuff in the Public Domain .... but very readable.

<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Old stuff in the Public Domain .... but very readable.

http://www.crypto.com/papers/safelocks.pdf

[edit] Elbowmacaroni - changed link to the official home of this document [/edit]
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Old stuff in the Public Domain .... but very readable.

Copy cat , i posted this around 3wks ago in the softwere and info links ;) I didnt get it from there tho - Oh check out there links :D you will find uklp's in there :P
<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:49 pm

I saw the other one, but not this one ..... I thought that perhaps you were saving it for a rainy day Hi!. Either way I like this article and found it very stimulating. It is a very rare day that I can drag out 'factorial n' and still get totally confused Hi!. Anyway full credit to you Sir, sorry I missed your posting ....... Ok how about the errors .... or were they deliberate Hi!.
<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Ah, I see where things went wrong. I am barred from that section, which needs a password or something, so I did not see your posting. I don't suppose it really matters, because locking up stuff that is in the public domain, serves no purpose.
<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Just a matter of interest, since this article came from the public domain, why was it posted in a restricted area ?.
<<

uklockpicker

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:30 pm

It might be there it might not without checking, i posted a few pdf's a while back it will be with them were ever they shall be

nice to see you found it good for a rainy day - and also for posting its worth another thread ;)
<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:38 pm

I question the whole concept of pretending that certain knowledge is secret, when it has existed in the public domain for years.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Actually, I believe that pdf is linked or at the very least mentioned in at least several posts in the public forums. Also, and maybe this should be a different case to help people newer to the hobby/sport/profession but I think alot of people assume knowledge of Matt Blaze's website (different than the site it was hosted at in your post though: it's http://crypo.com) within the community. His site is quite excellent and is recommended reading for a lot more than just people interested in locks. I highly recommend reading around on his site outside the scope of locks for anyone who has an interest in computer science and crypto in general. He's a pretty damn bright guy. The photo's section is quite interesting too and has some good lock related content as well http://www.crypto.com/photos/

In addition, I'd like to add that it is most certainly not in the public domain. Please reference the footer on the bottom of the first page "All text and images c
2004 by Matt Blaze; all rights reserved - unauthorized use or publication, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes, is prohibited." As a result, I have taken the liberty of changing the link in your initial post to the official home of this document in respect of the intellectual property owner's rights.
That all said, it is a good white paper, so thanks for bringing it to people's attention!

And I think uklockpicker was just teasing in his initial post :)

-elbow
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:34 am

My mistake, 'public domain' does suggest that it is copyright free, which of course this article is not. Perhaps I ought to have said "freely available to the public". Thank you for correcting my mistake. Either way if I ever get shipwrecked on a desert island, or 20 years in the nick ..., a dial lock is right at the top of my list of must have items !.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am

Magic1 wrote: Either way if I ever get shipwrecked on a desert island, or 20 years in the nick ..., a dial lock is right at the top of my list of must have items !.

Holy crap! Me too! :mrgreen:

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:20 am

Oh hey, and no worries eh? Just wanted to clarify, and I guess maybe pimp his site a bit, as it is very good reading.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks