FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LaGard 3332 2M Frustration

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: LaGard 3332 2M Frustration

madsamurai wrote:So, a couple years late to this discussion, but I found it when looking to see what the difference in the 3332 was (found one on ebay for $10.50) and you guys totally intrigued me here, so I picked one up. Got it a few days ago and have been messing with it a little (need to mount it up to get serious, may do that tomorrow), but I can confirm there are distinctly different sounds when there are no gates, 1 gate, and 2 gates... in my mind it's just a matter of rolling AWL and tapping the fence on the wheels until the sound brightens a little, 1&2AR until it brightens a bit more, and 1AL until it opens. On mine, no gates is a dull kind of ping, two gates almost rings like a bell, and 1 gate is somewhere in-between.

Has anyone else had any success with this theory yet?

And if someone has difficulties with hearing or distinguishing different sounds, then put a microphone on it, record to a computer and look at it with Audacity or similar to find the different sound spot. I can't remember if the software can show you live stream of what the sound spectrum looks like, but if it does, then that's the way to go.
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Have it mounted now, but now the sounds are much harder to differentiate. It's on wood now, will be curious to see if there's a difference mounted on metal (on the wait list for a couple of l0ckcr4ck3r's mounts). Mic and spectrum analyzer software sounds like it might be the way to go, Jaakko, but alas, I have neither... will have to see what I can find.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:57 pm

You only need hardware spectrum analyzers for serious high/radio frequency work, like cracking electronic safe locks :)
For the audio spectrum, you just a decent soundcard and any audio processing software.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Yup, as I said, Audacity is good (or best, depends) and its free :) All you need to do is get an electret mic or something that can be attached near the dial. And metal conducts sounds very well, whereas wood dulls them as you heard.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Which microphone do you recommend? Can you show an example? I assume it is also usable with a smart phone.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Which microphone do you recommend? Can you show an example? I assume it is also usable with a smart phone.

Can't say anything about that, as I'm an electronics guy and can build pre-amps for electret mics and use them for what I need. Perhaps your best option is to checkout eBay for cheap contact microphones.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:Can't say anything about that, as I'm an electronics guy and can build pre-amps for electret mics and use them for what I need. Perhaps your best option is to checkout eBay for cheap contact microphones.

When looking on ebay I find following mikes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400903127202
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262637157587
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262608839386
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141953050363
But I am not sure if they are really helpful. So do you use something like this or something completely different?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:
Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:Can't say anything about that, as I'm an electronics guy and can build pre-amps for electret mics and use them for what I need. Perhaps your best option is to checkout eBay for cheap contact microphones.

When looking on ebay I find following mikes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400903127202
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262637157587
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262608839386
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141953050363
But I am not sure if they are really helpful. So do you use something like this or something completely different?

That first one is useful, if you glue a ring magnet on the face so you can easily clamp it on the door and it has a standard output and amp built-in.

The others are piezo elements, so you would need a pre-amp for them to get any useful out of them.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:13 am

Dig around a bit on ebay if you decide to get that first one... I found it as cheap as $4.95 from china w/ free shipping and a 3-4 week wait for delivery. If I want it quick from a (also chinese) warehouse in the US, the cheapest I've found is $30.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:26 am

I have used audacity multiple times in the past in order to isolate different sound signatures. The wave pattern is cool on it but the best thing is the spectrogram in my opinion. For a free piece of software it is amazing. I have also used Baudline (free as well) which has some amazing features on it too, some not found on Audacity.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:06 am

Thanks! Now I just need a steel mount for a lock.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:That first one is useful, if you glue a ring magnet on the face so you can easily clamp it on the door and it has a standard output and amp built-in.

Got it. It is even working on locks mounted on a beech board.
<<

madsamurai

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:38 pm

sweet... did you get the one you linked to earlier? How's the quality?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:28 pm

The cheapest I found was 18 USD. I think the sound is transferred well via the spring-loaded pin, but the amp is not of the best quality. It is quite a bit of noise. Also the sound appears to me a bit distorted, but it might be just me not being experienced in contact mikes. So hearing when the lever comes into contact with the cam or a fly with the next wheel is no problem. But I am not sure if it would be good enough to hear sound differences on a 3332. A self-built amp is there probably much better.
<<

mk5734

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Yes, I'm pushing this fascinating thread back up to the top! It just doesn't seem to be finished. Does this audio technique work well for this this lock? If so, does it work reliably (different locks, different combinations)? Only one person found it to work, from what I read. Also, could this method be used for some Group 1 locks?
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks