FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Older S&G 6500? vault lock

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Older S&G 6500? vault lock

Here is the other interesting lock from ebay. It is an older 6500 I assume but has an odd nose on the lever/fence that I have never seen before. Also missing the dial and ring and the gear that attaches to the dial spindle on this one :(

The cover

The back. You can see this one has a plate that is missing on the Diebold as well as the missing gear in the offset portion that would attach to the spindle.

Some "genius" decided to cut off the Lock on back cover piece. :(

All the guts!

And finally the weird nose. It is ground oddly. The portion on the left contacts the 1st wheel in the combo and half of the second wheel. What is the purpose of this? It almost appears that some other metal was brazed onto the brass.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 pm

Re: Older S&G 6500? vault lock

Drooooooollllll

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Thankyou for sharing yet another droolsome lock! :drool:

I don't know what purpose the shape of the lever nose serves, but it would have the side-effect of allowing less accuracy when dialling the first two numbers of the combination. I don't think this is the reason for it, though - if it was to allow for less dialling precision, then it would surely be designed to apply to all wheels? It doesn't make sense to allow slop on just two of the numbers & demand greater precision for the other two.

Another idea that doesn't really sit well : could it be to allow for wheels 3 & 4 to move a bit as wheels 1 & 2 are dialled, providing extra reliability? Could this have been done by somebody who serviced this lock, to compensate for wheels 3 & 4 wondering a bit, whilst trying to preserve the tighter tolerances of the other two wheels? This isn't a satisfying conclusion, I don't think it's correct, but I thought I'd share it in case it points somebody else towards the true explanation.

...Mark
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

The change key holes in the wheels almost reminds me of Mosler... but I dunno really.

At any rate. NICE LOCK! Good luck finding parts :???: If anyone can do it though, it'd probably be you. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Oldfast wrote:The change key holes in the wheels almost reminds me of Mosler... but I dunno really.

At any rate. NICE LOCK! Good luck finding parts :???: If anyone can do it though, it'd probably be you. lol

It is an S&G wheel pack for sure. If you look at the one I sent you and how the change key fits there is no doubt. I am just unsure if it is a really old one or if it is some other model due to the odd fence.

<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Wait, what? I couldn't quite hear you... I was still in the closet.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Riyame wrote:It is an S&G wheel pack for sure. If you look at the one I sent you and how the change key fits there is no doubt. I am just unsure if it is a really old one or if it is some other model due to the odd fence.

Do you think the odd fence is factory original, or possibly modified by somebody working on the lock?
It is hard to tell from the pics, but they tend to suggest it may well have been altered after manufacture.

...Mark
<<

Riyame

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 pm

mercurial wrote:
Riyame wrote:It is an S&G wheel pack for sure. If you look at the one I sent you and how the change key fits there is no doubt. I am just unsure if it is a really old one or if it is some other model due to the odd fence.

Do you think the odd fence is factory original, or possibly modified by somebody working on the lock?
It is hard to tell from the pics, but they tend to suggest it may well have been altered after manufacture.

...Mark

No idea. I posted gut shots of a modern one a little while back under the title "Oldfast bait" if you want to look. I havent seen something like it before so that is why I thought maybe an older model or else it isnt a 6500. Maybe a group 1 lock?

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 pm

It makes me think it is for manipulation resistance. The wider fence would contact the gates before the other wheels' gates. It would make it a bit more difficult to manipulate if that is the way it works.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks