FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Diebold 180-33

<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 am

Diebold 180-33

Here is a Diebold 180-33.

It is a 3 wheel, key change, manipulation resistant safe lock. The way in which the manipulation resistance is achieved is very simple and elegant, compared to some other manufacturer's designs.

It functions almost identically to a regular group 2 spring fence lock, like the Diebold 177-22 or a S&G 6730 etc.

The difference is the manipulation resistance mechanism. Once the combination has been dialled L-R-L, the dial is turned right to 0, then it is pushed in before continuing to dial right to retract the bolt.

Unless the dial is pressed in, the lever nose rides the outer edge of the drive cam, which has no gate & therefore the fence never touches the wheel pack, and there are no contact points.

When the dial is pressed in, it's movement is transmitted to the drive cam, bringing the drive cam gate in line with the lever's nose. If the gates are all under the fence & the drive cam gate is under the lever's nose, the lever can drop & the lock can be opened.

The dial can be pushed in at any point on the dial, however when the dial is depressed, the drive cam is disengaged from the wheel pack, preventing any movement of the wheels when the dial is depressed.

There is no seperate change index on the dial, the dialling index also serves as the change index.

There is a small track containing ball bearings on the back cover, that bears against the drive cam.

The gates in the combination wheels are shaped very much like those in the S&G 8400 & this makes for a close fit between the gates and the fence, giving the lock very fine dialling tolerances.

The copper plate is the relocker & is identical to the relocker in the Diebold 177-22.

The dial (for some reason the image has been rotated through 90degrees when uploading, the opening index should obviously be at 12 o'clock) :
image.jpg

Inside the lock :
image.jpg

Drive cam gate visible, with the dial at rest :
image.jpg

Drive cam gate visible, with the dial depressed :
image.jpg

Correct combination entered, dial depressed & lever has dropped :
image.jpg

Inside of back cover :
image.jpg

...Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 am

Re: Diebold 180-33

First time I've had a good view inside a lock of this type. Thanks so much Mark! Great find.

That thing would certainly stump me. Should be interesting to see what others have to say.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 am

Oldfast wrote:First time I've had a good view inside a lock of this type. Thanks so much Mark! Great find.

That thing would certainly stump me. Should be interesting to see what others have to say.

You're very welcome.

Thankyou so much for all the stuff you have taken the time to share here, not just safe locks, I have got a lot out of your posts on picking, gutted locks, impressioning & more. It isn't much by comparison, but I'm glad I can share something in return that you enjoy.

I'm also keen to hear what others have to say about this lock, I'd never seen one until this one arrived a couple of weeks ago. I've been too busy to take the pics for a writeup until now.

...Mark
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:01 pm

mercurial wrote:
Oldfast wrote:...Should be interesting to see what others have to say.

I'm also keen to hear what others have to say about this lock...

Hmm, lol... :gosplit: ....pretty quite around here. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Oldfast wrote:
mercurial wrote:
Oldfast wrote:...Should be interesting to see what others have to say.

I'm also keen to hear what others have to say about this lock...

Hmm, lol... :gosplit: ....pretty quite around here. lol

~Throws a few firecrackers to liven up the place~

Interesting design, I haven't seen one of those before.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Cool lock! I've never seen that type of mechanism before. It'd be fun to play with and figure out if there was some way to feel what is going on in there, but it certainly looks like a daunting task from the pictures. Let us know if you figure anything out.

It has been a bit quiet around here...I know summer takes it's toll on the time I can spend with locks and I suspect it's the same for others.

Anyhow, thanks for posting those pics!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:57 pm

I neglected to describe one important feature of this lock.

Obviously the push in dial would be pointless if it could be pushed in & the contact area then measured. To prevent this, the drive cam's diameter is small enough that the fence rests on the wheel pack when the dial is depressed. Only when all gates are under the fence is the lever's nose able to reach the drive cam.

Somebody seems awfully optimistic regarding the value of these things, here is a Diebold 188-32, almost identical to my 180-33, with an asking price of $432.00!!

http://ebay.com/itm/251618226527

I'd love to know why the seller thinks it is worth so much! Mine cost a fraction of that amount, and appears to be in much better condition..

...Mark
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:12 pm

look at the upside----only $9.55 for economy shipping.
hard for me to believe that someone from wisconnie is that optimistic of that price.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Haha yeah, that seller always has insane prices.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks