FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

GSA container

<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:44 pm

GSA container

Hey safe gods!

I'm fortunate enough to live near a university (University of Minnesota) that has a great "Re-Use" surplus program. I was further very fortunate in that I was able to pick up a 2-drawer, 2-lock GSA type security container last night for the paltry sum of $10! It's a Mosler, silver GSA label with black text. S&G combination locks, S/N 2280757. Drawers locked, combinations unknown.

I would consider myself as someone who is very experienced with most aspects of locksmithing, especially surrounding pin-tumbler locks. I am familiar with the operation of combination locks and the general theory behind manipulation, however I have never actually gotten around to trying it myself.

I figure my options on this beast are, in order of least to most expensive:
1. Attempt manipulation of the lock(s) myself as a "deep end of the pool" immersion into the safe world
2. Attempt to find the drill points and drill the drawer heads myself (I have experience with drilling various materials and potential access to a mag drill press)
3. Call out to area locksmiths (there are some good ones in MN) to get quotes on drilling - it's in my pickup so the unit being able to come to the 'smith may save money.
4. Call out to area locksmiths to get quotes on manipulation of the lock(s) - manual or auto-dialer if auto-dialers are in use in the area (I have no data one way or the other)

Obviously having no way to know for sure, but given that this was in use by a university and not a government installation it's possible that the two locks may have the same combo.

I know that by GSA specification, these locks are supposed to resist manipulation for 20 man-hours. Do any of you experienced manipulators out there have any data on how closely this holds true? Those ratings tend to measure the period of time an expert would take to do the job. If they truly take that long for an expert, I too may be measuring my manipulation time in calendar years instead of hours.

I will be following up with detail pictures of the container and locks in the coming days. Like I said, it's on my pickup with some other things and I can't get to it at the moment to photograph. In the mean time, I'm hoping to strike up a conversation about these containers.

Thanks guys and gals!
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Re: GSA container

Normally when GSA containers are pulled from use the combination locks are supposed to be reset to factory defaults so that the old combination cannot be found out.

The exact opening sequence will depend on the lock. When you turn the dial to 0 and push, does it go in and spring back? Is there a silver dial in the middle of the knob? Pictures could help.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:11 pm

The lock doesn't have a silver dial in the middle of the knob - I know the type you're referring to. I'll try to check the in-and-spring-back effect. The container sat around with a ridiculous $200 price tag on it (for a locked container!) for over a year, and I did try the default combo a while back (though I don't remember it now).

My apologies for the no pictures at the moment. I know I'd want to see 'em too to better help. I'll get them up ASAP.

Riyame wrote:Normally when GSA containers are pulled from use the combination locks are supposed to be reset to factory defaults so that the old combination cannot be found out.

The exact opening sequence will depend on the lock. When you turn the dial to 0 and push, does it go in and spring back? Is there a silver dial in the middle of the knob? Pictures could help.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:55 am

Be pretty cool if You could manipulate open a manipulation proof gov't lock as Your first project. Good Luck & please report back as to how you did.
<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Here's a picture I just took of the bottom lock in the back of my truck through a table leg (table is for my locksmith shop/hobby room, need to clean before bringing it int he house!)

20141004_200524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Looks like a Mosler, I believe they used their 402 lock on the gov't containers. I will look up a drill point, if you wanna mess it up
I understand from reading Dave McOmie that their version of hardplate (relsom or mosler spelled backwards) is tough to drill. Even their light-duty stuff was difficult to open, for me, but I don't see much mosler.I understand their newer stuff had trouble with fences breaking, I have seen several put out of use for want of a fence.

You do know this is supposed to be a manipulation-proof lock right?
Last edited by jones on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 pm

jones wrote:Looks like a Mosler, I believe they used their 402 lock on the gov't containers. I will look up a drill point, if you wanna mess it up

It is a S&G actually. If the dial doesn't have the spring back when set to 0 then it is probably just a 6700 series.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:56 pm

It says S&G on the dial ring so I will chose to believe that as correct. It looks like a group 2 dial, not being a government container it may be. The government default is usually 50-25-50, but again, it was not a government container. A magnetic rig will not work on this safe, there is not enough metal for the rig to hold tight. Mosler hardplate is funny, sometimes you can cut right through it and sometimes you work your butt off to scratch it. This is mounted vertical down if you need to drill it. But don't even waste your time if you don't have a proper rig. Good luck. By the way, nice buy!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:44 pm

TEN DOLLARS?! Why you son of a..... lol. Good for you.

Hope I can help at some point. At the moment, I'm not sure what to say.
If it is indeed a S&G group 2, (given your experience) I'd say you have
a decent shot at learning manipulation with it while at the same time
eventually arriving at your first opening. Great steal. I'm jealous!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Too bad you can't side drill, and scope the change key hole. Although if the lock isn't manipulation proof, maybe it doesn't have all the metal plates guarding it to stop your scope? No hardplate on the side drill either and you can have it welded back up later,or put a 1/4" rivit in the hole.
<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Here are two more pictures I found on my old phone from before I bought it, way back in January of '13 when it first arrived at ReUse:

20130214_193352.jpg

20130214_193355.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks