FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Magnets to replace drivers/springs

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Magnets to replace drivers/springs

GWiens2001 wrote:
huxleypig wrote:
Marduk28 wrote:Can these be "Picked" with a strong magnet?

I think I am right in saying that all the tumblers in this lock need pulling towards the key? So a magnetic probe to decode what is in the lock (or some sort of electronic equivalent :cool: ) would tell you what you needed to simulate the key.

Short and simple answer is ... No. Do a search on YouTube for magnetic lock cutaway, and you can see how they work. It would take too long to explain.

Gordon

So it is not the repelling/attracting that is important, it is the position of the magnets. It looks like it works similar to that magnetic mortice lock (I forget its name, it has just a round flat plate) in that there are legs on the end of the magnets that pivot into holes.

I had the chance to have a quick play with the Genii one this week. I was reliably informed that they can be raked open pretty easily but I did not witness it first hand. You're right about decoding though, the pins might not even be magnetic.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:01 pm

I read an article where the guy used a strip of magnetic sensitive film to get the alignments and then used the magnets in the corresponding locations to pop it. Crap i have no idea where i saw that but I'll see if I can dig it up.

ETA: Now that I think about I think he used the film to homebrew a clone of the key rather than the lock.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Dougq1300

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:38 am

I realize this is an older post, but I've been digging through the site for a while now. Not to burst your bubble about patenting this idea, but locks must follow UL437 restrictions (Underwriters Laboratory). The biggest thing against this is that locks must employ non-magnetic parts to operate in order to receive a patent.
<<

Josephus

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Dougq1300 wrote:I realize this is an older post, but I've been digging through the site for a while now. Not to burst your bubble about patenting this idea, but locks must follow UL437 restrictions (Underwriters Laboratory). The biggest thing against this is that locks must employ non-magnetic parts to operate in order to receive a patent.

Every once in a while someone comes through saying this nonsense. Underwriters Laboratory is a private company. People may or may not do business with them at their leisure. UL437 is not a restriction. It is not lawful in any way. UL437 is a specification process for testing and certifying high-security locks to the said specifications, nothing more. The number of locks that fall in that category is very small and self-selecting.

Don't believe me? Look it up. Or better yet just check out how few locks have a UL mark or label. If the mark isn't there then the lock isn't certified.
<<

ckc123

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Josephus wrote:UL437 is a specification process for testing and certifying high-security locks to the said specifications, nothing more.

100% correct.. it's a spec which a lock meets.. while companies may require that the locks they purchase meet the spec, there is nothing forcing the manufacturer to make a lock to that spec..

you can make a lock which is more secure than the UL437 but does not meet the spec.. which is now better.. the lock or the spec that lowers the security of the lock?
Previous

Return to Awol's Research & Development