FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Decoduino - Decoder for the MCS

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Decoduino - Decoder for the MCS

Oldfast wrote:I've gotta say that this shit is above my head to where I can't truly appreciate it. But still..... WOW

Yeah, I got my jaw slack and mouth open looking at this. I'm totally with Oldfast on this one. I want one, no doubt. Really, really cool innovation. Don't stop! This is simply superb.

Huge thanks for sharing.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Fantastic stuff Lockcraker, I am amazed by both the project and the ingeniousness behind it! Congrats and I too can only enourage you to continue evolving it :)
I hope we see a field-usable tool from this amazing work :)
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

escher7

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 pm

l0ckcr4ck3r wrote:So just a quick update.. now that I've received a few questions on how this picks….

Well it doesn't. You need to imagine that another tool is developed that is capable of picking the lock but has no idea what the magnetic bitting is. Then all that clever Austrian engineering is turned against its self. At the 3 o'clock position, the fingers of the sidebars will actually hold the rotors in the unlocked position and you can then use this tool to read 4 rotors in turn… flip it over and read out the other 4 on the opposite side. From there its a simple move to assemble a Make-up Key for the final humiliation of the lock ;-)

Hope that clears up some confusion :) So a note to all those others working on this lock…. keep going and good luck, i wanna see this thing slain in 2014!!!

@Daggers had some serious help from form my partner in crime fgarci03… It has been an experience learning how to make FPCs (flexible Printed Circuits) and honestly that was by far the hardest part.

There are some really cool Chip based sensors out there, it would be nice to see some other smart tools developed to help figure out whats going on inside different locks.

So this assumes that someone has already picked the lock and you are reading the magnet positions to make a key?
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:31 pm

escher7 wrote:
So this assumes that someone has already picked the lock and you are reading the magnet positions to make a key?

Correct
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Really cool lOckcracker...I've been slowly getting into this tiype of stuff myself..you've definitely inspired me to up my game! Any suggestions on good learning/buying sites for an almost complete noob(when it comes to building electronics)?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm

This is exactly what i wanted to hear rerun!!

Yes get your self a Micro controller starter kit.. I suggest Arduino as they are for Atmel controllers and have a much bigger support base. Work through the tutorials basic LEDs, and Matrices. Then Get an LCD display working to learn I2C protocol. Then get one of the Arduino sensors like a Temperature sensor or GPS unit and that will teach you SPI protocol. Armed with these 2 protocols, you will be able to interface with nearly every integrated chip based sensor out there!! Honestly i knew nothing 5 months ago!

I have already heard of a member working on a MIWA3800 decoder and if you look around you could use either a proximity chip or a sensitive magnatometer chip to detect the presence of ferromagnetic metal. This then opens chinks in the amour things like the 3KS!

There are other members who have experience with Arduino and probably more than me... you will get all the help you need either here or on the Arduino Forum itself. I believe that the Arduino phenomenon is as, if not more, revolutionary than 3D printing. Lets face face it... the Hook/Diamond and Tension wrench are decades old technology... lets raise the game a little with some Smart Picks ;-)
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Ok, so im $850 and just over 1600 hours in to the MCS project and that doesn't include fgarci03's work! The first milestone was reached earlier this evening but having a completed decoder is just a side note to what has been learnt, before this project i could do almost none of the following or at lest poorly:

Solidworks - 3D design and I'm good enough to take a job as a fully competent Draftsman
KeyShot3 - Rending software for 3D models, good enough to get by
EagleCAD - Electrical Schematic and PCB design software.. can get the job done
MasterCAM5 - Auto generating G-Code for CNC not great yet but almost there
Arduino/Electronics - Good grounding in micro controllers, enough to get nearly anything i want done

Bottom line is get out there and try making stuff... its not as hard as you might think. I also promised to open source this tool at this stage but there has been some frantic communications recently and i might have to reconsider my initial dismissal of this tool , of falling into the "Irresponsible Disclosure" bracket... bear with me and stay tuned!

Ok so fully assembled Board....

Holes machined in case for switches and stuff...
ImageImage

Assemble it into the case... I'm lazy and don't want to crank my neck round to read the display when its pointing down... added another on the back ;-)
ImageImage

Power it on....Shite!!!..... looks like the internal wiring on the display is different from the test ones... Change code and upload again....
ImageImage

Add 5V supply in the form of a Micro USB - B cable... Orange charging.... Green Fully Charged
ImageImage

Ok.. so tests... Rotor at position 1

Rotate it 2 positions (90 Degrees) to position 3....

Nudge it off center... Should give an Error...

Now lets see if its good in the Keyway....

Ok lets decode one entire assembled side of the lock... note the side plate has moved towards the front of the Lock.... Trapping all the rotors from moving ;-)

1... next...

7.. next

6... and the last one...

and 2!!! Looks like we have a Jackpot Here :D Now just add the flashy iPhone style Bumper and its Good to Go!!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

:shock: :drool: :hbg:

Great work!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:50 am

:drool: Fantastic work :drool: I seriously want!

Huge admiration of what you've achieved here. Really, really cool.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:02 pm

I thought it looked beautiful with just the naked PCB, with the case it's amazingly professional looking! Congrats!!!
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:24 pm

I gotta say I still shiver each time I look at the built tool :hbg:

The path taken has taught me so much too. And even being "there" all the way, I was still amazed to see that working (not that I didn't have faith. I knew it would work. But damn, it's a huge mark!).

l0ckcr4ck3r wrote:Bottom line is get out there and try making stuff... its not as hard as you might think.

I gotta use this line to express myself specially to those starting out on areas which are not their expertise.
Specially after reading rerun12's reply to this thread:
rerun12 wrote:Really cool lOckcracker...I've been slowly getting into this tiype of stuff myself..you've definitely inspired me to up my game! Any suggestions on good learning/buying sites for an almost complete noob(when it comes to building electronics)?

I gotta tell you. It IS inspiring!
When I started playing with these concepts, I had only a very faint view of electronics. I knew what LED's are diodes were (although I didn't know how to actually use a diode :hammering: ), I had a very little ground on programming (and although I'm still a noob, I can get the job done now).

So I have to thank L0ckcr4ck3r for being there not telling me WHAT to do, but HELPING me to figure out HOW to do it for myself.
I guess I can also use this post to thank Xeo and Elbow (and anyone who has helped me on this subject, I'm sorry if your name isn't here) to everytime they have put up with me asking stupid questions on programming and electronics. Even by being on "unrelated to this project" lines, they hugelly boosted up my skill to be of help here.

Basically this is all to tell rerun12 and others on the same situation (Hux, this is for you :mrgreen: ), go for it.
Get a micro controller and play with it. It's not as difficult as you might think.

Hell, if I could learn it in a couple months. You will be able to teach me in a couple weeks!

My achievements aren't nearly as inspiring as L0ckcr4ck3r's, but they are a huge milestone to me:
- Programming;
- Electronics;
- Designing PCB's
- CNC/Milling - I still have no idea how to to actually work with it it, but thanks to Hux and L0ckcr4ck3r, some concepts are way easier to grasp now;

and the biggest mark I achieved:

- Being able to do what the fuck I put my head into!

That is the point I wanted to set clear on this rhapsody!
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

voltik13

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 am

Super based arduino idea!

MV
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 am

Holy shit thats some dope work lOck...picking me up a micro controller starter kit later today! In a few weeks maybe we could exchange a few ideas :smile:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 pm

rerun12 wrote:Holy shit thats some dope work lOck...picking me up a micro controller starter kit later today! In a few weeks maybe we could exchange a few ideas :smile:

...and so it begins :twisted:
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:00 pm

I am learning to repair car remote controllers specificalyl to achieve to knowledge to follow your project lockcracker, you infested us :D
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
PreviousNext

Return to Awol's Research & Development