FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Magnum 1012 - 10 thru 12 meter HT

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Magnum 1012 - 10 thru 12 meter HT

Nice little handheld radio for 12, 11, and 10 meters - capable of AM, FM, and SSB modes. The conversion discussed in the video allows the radio to transmit and receive from 24 thru 29.999 MHz, in either 12 & 11 meter format or 11 & 10 meter. (Also does the UK CB freq's)

Remember, you must abide by FCC rules when transmitting.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 7.

It will EAT batteries like a hippie gnawing on chocolate brownies - so you'll need spare batteries or make up a connector for tapping into your cigarette lighter.

Performance is marginal - but what did you expect with a rubber duck antenna? However, you can connect an external mag mount antenna via the BNC connector to improve things.

But a pair of these radios might be cool for short range comm's, especially if you want to get away from the UHF 462 MHz FRS dweebs. Sideband is what makes this radio cool - as this mode on an HT is not common.

It's not for everyone - but if you want to try your luck at DX with a HT - at low power to boot, this may be the ticket.

About $230.

73's de Hotel Charlie

<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Re: Magnum 1012 - 10 thru 12 meter HT

I have one of these packed away. Never successful at making a contact with it. I did open it up and add a button to it, that when pressed, loads the alternate profile they come with that turns it into a CB radio. Sort of neat to be able to jump between CB and HF on one handheld.

I really should dig it out and throw it on the local swap-net or eBay.
Howdy!

Return to CQ DX