FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Black Hat Stories

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Black Hat Stories

So I am doing some research on 'Black Hat Locksmithing' and I wanted to hear the best stories that KP has to offer on this subject. I am thinking prison break, heists, that sorta thing but there has to be a strong locksmithing element to them. So for example, James Clark and his infamous raiding of the US pay phone system and the Fed's subsequent manhunt...or Daniel Heiss's escape from Berrimah, Darwin after making a copy of the master key; a photograph of which was on the cover to every inmate's induction pamphlet!

I am also looking for some of the previously classified tools that have come to light. So like some of the Stazi's tools etc. Anything that could be considered 'black hat' but without being indiscreet.

Thanks in advance.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Re: Black Hat Stories

The 2003 Antwerp diamond heist: http://www.wired.com/2009/03/ff-diamonds-2/
But I really, really doubt the story as told there, e.g.
Notarbartolo used women's hair spray to temporarily disable the vault's combined heat/motion sensor.
It was a simple but effective hack: The oily film would temporarily insulate the sensor from fluctuations in the room's temperature, and the alarm went off only if it sensed both heat and motion.

This would trigger the masking detection of any IR detector you'd see used in even a medium-security installation in 2003.

He felt the security system's main inbound and outbound wires. An automatic electric pulse constantly shot into the room and back out along these wires. If any of the sensors were tripped, the circuit would break. When a pulse shot into the room, it expected an answer. If it didn't get one, it activated the alarm.

Doesn't work like that...
<<

huxleypig

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Patrick Star wrote:The 2003 Antwerp diamond heist: http://www.wired.com/2009/03/ff-diamonds-2/
But I really, really doubt the story as told there, e.g.
Notarbartolo used women's hair spray to temporarily disable the vault's combined heat/motion sensor.
It was a simple but effective hack: The oily film would temporarily insulate the sensor from fluctuations in the room's temperature, and the alarm went off only if it sensed both heat and motion.

This would trigger the masking detection of any IR detector you'd see used in even a medium-security installation in 2003.

He felt the security system's main inbound and outbound wires. An automatic electric pulse constantly shot into the room and back out along these wires. If any of the sensors were tripped, the circuit would break. When a pulse shot into the room, it expected an answer. If it didn't get one, it activated the alarm.

Doesn't work like that...

I have considered the Antwerp diamond heist but 1) I too doubt some (lots) of the story and 2) the locksmithing element was only the raking of a few Lips dimple locks and a specially made tool to brute force the safety deposit boxes. I could use that I suppose, it was a beastly thing. Oh, that and the as-yet-unknown method they used to get into the vault. I heard that they hid a camera up in the ceiling to get the combo but again, I do not believe that...I am of the opinion that they had the combo already.
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:13 am

You are correct about raking the dimple lock with a pick made from an Allen key. For the rest of the story, the book "Flawless" is a well-researched story and includes details on the actual break-in.
https://www.amazon.com/Flawless-Inside- ... 1402797559
<<

huxleypig

Post Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:09 pm

**BUMP**

Come on guys, this is shameful. I am well through the work now but could still use some fresh info. Tick tock. :smile:

Return to HELP!!!!!