FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Disc detainer locks - tips & tricks [VIDEO]

<<

Glens_1999

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Disc detainer locks - tips & tricks [VIDEO]

AULockpicker wrote:
Glens_1999 wrote:I just got my pick set like the one in the video and I have an alloy lock but the keyway is too small to admit the pick. Can I just file it down a little so it will fit? Also what are those other brands of locks that are in the video, and where can i get them? It would be better to start on something easier.

Great video. Really explains it nicely and a great accent!

Thanks all for the great knowledge.

Glen

I had to file the tip of mine down just a tad because it was too wide to fit keyway. I also had to narrow the width of the tip down because it was wider than the cut in the key, I filed it down to the same size as cut in the key, after these minor modifications it worked fine.

Almost forgot, the chap who said the tip had fallen off the wire...Could it not be resoldered to the wire?

Thanks I'll give it a try.
<<

Glens_1999

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 pm

AULockpicker wrote:
Glens_1999 wrote:I just got my pick set like the one in the video and I have an alloy lock but the keyway is too small to admit the pick. Can I just file it down a little so it will fit? Also what are those other brands of locks that are in the video, and where can i get them? It would be better to start on something easier.

Great video. Really explains it nicely and a great accent!

Thanks all for the great knowledge.

Glen

I had to file the tip of mine down just a tad because it was too wide to fit keyway. I also had to narrow the width of the tip down because it was wider than the cut in the key, I filed it down to the same size as cut in the key, after these minor modifications it worked fine.

Almost forgot, the chap who said the tip had fallen off the wire...Could it not be resoldered to the wire?

Thanks I'll give it a try.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 am

I make the pick tips by filing down a nail while spinning it in a power drill at low speed. the spins means that the cutting force will not bend the nail as its constantly turning. Thinning the nail shaft.
its quite easy to turn a nail down with a file and a drill.
then the nail head can be cut away to leave the cross piece.
sand the pick shaft while still spinning the drill

the top of stack tensioner can be formed from steel or brass tubing, and the rest of it is better made of light materials like found plastic parts, wood and glue etc
this makes a lighter tool and not one that will easily bend the pick tip if dropped as happens with the ones that have an once of steel handle stuff on them,
these locks only require light tension so there is no real need for levers comeing out of the knob and no need for an ounce of metal hanging on the weak end of the pick shaft
<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Thank you so much for the information. I do have a question about the feel of the gate against the bar. I'm practicing on a sobo lock and can feel a point where the rotation of the disc stops under the same pressure as I use to start the rotation. When I rotate past that and turn back to the zero position I feel the same thing. Is that stopping point where the gate is aligned or is it just past?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:09 pm

That should be where the gate is lined up. :-)

Have fun with it!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Great thank you!
Previous

Return to Disc Detainer Locks