FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

old still bank

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:22 am

old still bank

So yesterday I went to a "vintage" street market, that is basically a luxury flea market, with my girlfriend. I noticed this still bank but pretended not to have seen it. I was worried she could get mad at me for buying that rusted and dirt piece of crap. Ironically she pointed it to me and said: look, that's cool... :roll:
I immediately grabbed it and noticed the keyhole on the bottom was a bit ruined, but it was a nice piece nevertheless.
I asked if they had a key and obviously they didn't. But the seller told me that for 10 euro it could be mine. I looked at my girlfriend with a fake interrogative expression, because I already made a decision, but she agreed and we bought it!
The funny thing is that once at home she claimed it as hers, because she saw it. Well, I quickly made a "key" and gave it to her. Now, instead of being in a cabinet in the basement (my toys room), it's in the living room on a shelf!

Sometimes life is fun 8)
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:14 am

Re: old still bank

Haha! This is the same exact story that happened with me and my wife and iron bank safes!

We were at an antique store and I saw an iron bank safe that I thought was neat and possibly rare for a good price. My wife saw it and said I could get it but only if She got to keep it. So when we got home she put in on a shelf in the living room ... none of my locks are On displayed in the living room :( ... Fast forward a couple years and now we have about 5 or 6 different iron bank safes of various shapes sizes and designs that my wife has made claim to.

You should look for the ones with combo locks so you can manipulate it ;) ... I always cheat because you can look through the coin slot with a flashlight and see the dials :-P
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:56 am

Well, this could be a good compromise: the locks are hers so can be displayed in the living room.
I'll support her new interest in the still banks and maybe find some more :mrgreen:

Cheers :)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:48 am

I got another old still bank, and instead of starting a new thread, I'll just post the pictures here. I paid it 50 euro on a popular auction site.

Incidentally found out that the round hole is meant to insert wrapped bills. Never thought of that. When I was a kid I used to fold the bills and put them in the coins hole...

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:35 am

Some time ago I made a brass key for this money box but I think I forgot to add it to the thread.

Enjoy :)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 am

Here is the part of our collection exposed on a shelf in the living room.

And here is a Fichet - Torino one I got some time ago with a non working key. The key, not pictured, was a bit mangled but turned out good for another one I already had (the black one).
This weekend I tried to make a key for it and failed because the spring is so strong I over-filed it. Once the key turned and the lock didn't open I made another one and didn't file where it was marking, knowing it was the bolt. Got it open but it's hard and will break the key soon. I oiled it a little and moved the bolt back with pliers a few times, now is a bit better but still hard.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:35 am

I went to some Christmas markets in villages near our Garda lake and found another old money box. It's a bit rusted but for 10 euro one can't complain. Two nice things about this one: one of the keys I made for my others opened it at first try; There were some old coins in it. The coins are old Italian LIRE from 1954, 1955 and 1957 so I guess that was the period this still bank was used.
There were a dozen used matches inside the box. Maybe a kid got bored and tried to burn it, or maybe they wanted to see what was inside it. Who knows?
Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

I cleaned it with some "polish" (car wax sort of) and put it on display on the shelf.

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:33 pm

Nice! And I seem to have missed your previous couple of posts here. Neat to see.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:41 pm

femurat wrote:There were a dozen used matches inside the box. Maybe a kid got bored and tried to burn it, or maybe they wanted to see what was inside it. Who knows?

I had also a plastic mini bank as a child. I remember I stuffed mine with a lot of paper after I inserted some money. So I had to bring the stuffed mini bank to the big bank to get it opened.

Martin Hewitt
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

macgng

Post Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:10 pm

woah! nice femurat! i just got one at an antique store during thanksgiving break, nothing fancy, doesn't look real old, but i think one of those keys should probably work it. thanks man! :D
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:54 am

I was browsing one of the websites that sometimes has money boxes for sale, that was mentioned on another forum. I couldn't resist buying a couple more money boxes: TRUSTEE SAVINGS and LLOYDS.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 am

I got to know an old collector and was able to purchase some old and rusted money boxes. Most are missing the lock because they were pried open :( It's a shame to ruin these beautiful boxes just to get the few coins they usually contain. I picked open with two L bent wires the only one that was locked with something inside. I got a few old coins, estimated value less than one euro.

I need to clean these money boxes and then I'll let my girlfriend choose which ones she wants to keep. The others, most likely doubles or most rusted, will be available for trade.

The old collector also had some padlocks he no longer needed, and I'm the one that will choose which ones to keep :lol:

I hope to update this thread in the next two or three weeks.

<<

macgng

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:15 am

well.... i got mine open.... :hammering:

i figured out why it wouldnt open after i figured i picked it... 1 of the 3 levers inside the lock was missing the spring, the 2nd spring was cracked, 3rd spring was intact. AND the bolt wouldnt fully retract because the blocking plate was bent into the whole in the lock whee the bolt slided in and out of.

but i managed to not mess any of the finish up or scratch it or bend the outside much more than it already was.

i found a 1972 lincoln penny and a 5 kurus coin from Turkey 1955

the lock bodies appear to be similiar so i will post pictures when i get it back together and reinstall it
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:49 am

femurat wrote:Image

I'm trying to open this LLOYDS in the bottom right corner and is driving me nuts. Is there a trick to open it? I can't feel a thing inside the keyway!
On the bottom there's Patent 168.828 11 June 11 1921 but I can't find this patent.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 am

Never mind. A very strong spring is all you need to defeat a picker that loves locks!

Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock