FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Vintage Lock Sakae Click Type Combination Locks

<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:11 am

Vintage Lock Sakae Click Type Combination Locks

I was lucky to run across this pair of really cool combination locks called Lock Sakae made in Tokyo Japan by Kenei Mfg.Co. These locks have no numbers to reference they are click type combination. You count the clicks of each of the 3 wheels that have 10 clicks per wheel. Very high quality made of heavy brass with nickle plating. They were made with very close tolerances as the wheels have no gap between them as you can see. The clicks are solid no wiggle at all on each click. I was amazed how well they are made. I have never seen these before and didn't expect anything near the quality when I bought them on ebay. Was very pleased when I open the package and felt the weight and machining quality of these. Both have different combinations as I was hoping they would have. The name plate on the top the lettering and red color has a vintage appeal to it. Have no idea how old they are as they are Pat Pending plus can't find any reference to them but one tiny picture you can hardly see on the antique padlock site but has to be made long long ago. Amazing condition. Nice addition to my click lock collection.

Lock-Sakae-01.jpg

Lock-Sakae-02.jpg

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 am

Re: Vintage Lock Sakae Click Type Combination Locks

Those do look pretty interesting and cool, Richard. Am I correct in assuming you opened them by trying the dials while pulling the shackle?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:36 am

The truth is I was even more lucky they both came with the combinations! As always I did try pulling on the shackle and rolling the wheels. Even knowing what position the gates are at these are machined so well I don't feel obvious give on the shackle on those positions but feel some give is places that are wrong in multiple locations. And there is no obvious feeling on the wheels in those positions because the solid click is so prominent. I thought they would just fall open just jacking them left and right but they are pretty tight for such a simple lock. I am sure I would have figured them out if they didn't come with the combos. Like I say these quiclky became some of my favorite locks the minute I pick them up out of the box. High security no way but the cool factor on a scale from 1 to 10 is a 12.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 pm

How big are they?
<<

Trekmaster30

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Those are some really cool combos. I've never seen anything quite like them.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 pm

norwoodgolf wrote:How big are they?

They are not big like as most cylindrical shaped locks that look like this. Like many old Eagle ones they are small locks. They are about 1/14 dia X 2 1/2 long. Heavy for their size was surprising. I expected them to be cheap lite weight japan made locks with loose fitting wheels hollow sounding when turned or tapped on and sloppy click detents. I was way wrong. I can not be happier with them. The knurled wheels really look cool. They just have a great feel in all aspects. Couldn't believe nobody came along and bid them sky high just because they are so different looking and apparently a rare find. The seller was not a lock dealer so they listed them really low which also made me think they were a cheap made lock. And to get 2 of them how lucky is that.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks. That was a sweet find!
<<

tcarulli39

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 am

I came across one of these locks without the combination. I've played with it for awhile but have not figured out the code. I do not proclaim to be a locksmith. Do you have any suggestions for figuring out the code. I intend to list it on eBay. My lock is not red at the top like the one pictured but is silver. On the bottom it is stamped v7879. I have not found this lock mentioned anywhere else besides here.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock