FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My Yale 1640090 Padlock

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 am

My Yale 1640090 Padlock

So a few years ago I got this padlock, locked and without a key. I think it's a Yale 1640090 but I'm not sure. I Picked it a few times and then decided to disassemble it to see how it works.

After disassembling the lock I thought I could rekey it and put it back to service. I left it disassembled but it was not a brilliant idea, since after a while I managed to loose the drill protection cover.
I wanted to make a key for it anyway, but it was very difficult to find a blank. I forgot about this padlock until I found it laying in the back of a cabinet. I made a post to buy it's missing cover but till now I had no luck.
Then I brought it to a friendly key duplicator that was kind enough to look for a fitting key. There I found out the core was probably changed, because the fitting blank is a CISA (CA 48) and not a Yale.
Here starts another adventure for this old padlock.

First of all I picked it again, then I removed the c-clip on the back and carefully removed the plug, using a AAA battery as a plug follower

So I decided to use a sharpie to mark the pins positions, one side at a time. Then filed down the key diagonally to allow the pins to sit flush in their chambers.

One side was done. It was time to file the other side.

Then I tried to reassemble the cylinder and found out that I filed the key less than needed, because the plug was stiff and not easy to insert in the cylinder. I had to adjust the key.

So I inserted it slowly and carefully, trying to slide it in the cylinder one pin at a time to notice which pins were too high. I gave a couple strokes with the file and then checked my progress again. Except for the first and deepest pin, that I filed a little off center, everything went fine. Now I have a working key. Yes, it's not reversible, because I filed down only one side. As you can see, by filing down both sides I may end up with a split key.

I think I may go back to the friendly key duplicator to see if he can make me a copy of this key.

Cheers :)
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: My Yale 1640090 Padlock

nice job! i wondered if you could just file it like that to get a simple dimple key working like that. cool! thanks for sharing.
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

insatiableOne

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:51 am

Great job.

Just a suggestion, if you had.. or wanted to do that again Dykem or Prussian Blue would be ideal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
not illiterate, just tough to overcome auto-correct & type on mobile device
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks all for the compliments.

I was looking for layout blue but I've been told that a sharpie works better and, since I had one handy, used it. InsatiableOne, what advantages do you think I may have with the fluids you suggest, over the sharpie?

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock