FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old postal street letter box lock gets a new key!

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Old postal street letter box lock gets a new key!

100_8595.JPG

I've wanted one of these for awhile, but ones with keys were out of my price range, so I put off getting one... That is, until I found this one with no key on Ebay for $25. I looked around for a key, knowing that the key is the same for locks with the same number. Someone on the FB padlock group sent me a high res pic of a #18 key!
100_8596.JPG

I printed off the pic, and had to tweak it until it was the size of the real deal, I then taped it to a piece of metal I had lying around and it was time to dremel it down!

100_8602.JPG

Here is a crude copy, let's see if it works...

100_8603.JPG

Success! Later i will make a nicer copy using either a proper blank, or shape one out of thicker steel myself. I may even be able to find the real key eventually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Re: Old postal street letter box lock gets a new key!

Well done! And a fine lock for your collection!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:50 pm

Agree with Mastersmith. I bet you are proud of yourself making your first push key. Well earned, Phoneman!

If you are unsure of the key, you can try making a tool that I used a few days ago to make a key for my first Champion 4 lever push key lock.

The tool was made for me by the illustrious Lauren, and has been great. Before getting the one he made me, I made a simpler version using drill bits, plywood and wing nuts/bolts. Adjusted properly, it is a pick as well as a good way to make an impression of the levers and transfer it to the key.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks guys! Gordon, I've seen people using tools like that before. Does it work similar to a tubular pick? (self impressioning)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes it does. Though for a lock that is already picked open, you can loosen the screws and slide the pins into the lock to merely read the pins. Then tighten the screws and you have a key and/or pattern for a key.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 pm

I had opened my 6 lever padlocks by using a thin wire with a tiny hook on the end and measuring the location of the gates. I had made keys by filing a sheet of sheet metal, but I managed to acquire some blanks, and those work better. I had toyed with the idea of building a fixture for the Framon machine for it, but I don't do this often enough to warrant that kind of effort. Congrats on making a working key!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:43 am

First way I used to pick them open before using tpark's method and later getting the tool was to tie a small rope to the shackle, put a loop in the other end. Put the loop over my foot and pull it tight with my left hand to tension the shackle against the levers and use a straight piece of piano wire to manipulate the levers. They will bind and pick like picking a pin tumbler lock. I stopped using that method when I learned easier methods. Was worried about possibly damaging the levers.

Gordon

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock