FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Victorian Chubb cabinet lock

<<

fingers G4

Post Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:07 am

Victorian Chubb cabinet lock

I work in The Natural History Museum as an Engineer. I've been tasked with opening some cabinets that wont open, they have been called precision lever locks that us a hollow key. Has anyone got any ideas about non destructing entry or will i need to drill out ? would prefer to pick. locks and keys are getting old and worn. If i can get them open i can repair and make keys.
<<

NKT

Post Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:45 am

Re: Victorian Chubb cabinet lock

Please don't drill them.
And to think I get grief off the National Trust if I leave scratches on a lever!

If the keys are getting iffy, get the container open, and get them apart and fixed. If you're currently stuck, find a safe engineer nearby, go to his shop, and ask him to re-cut the keys higher. You might be able to mimic this yourself by lifting the key in the lock. Then you'll be able to get it open.

Failing that, get a locksmith with a clue out to manipulate it/them open.
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:03 am

Re: Victorian Chubb cabinet lock

As said get the keys recut by any good key cutter but they can be opened without quite easily by any decent locksmith and a small 2in1 pick, I do them on a regular basis. You can buy try out keys but they are very expensive but if cost isnt an issue that may be an avenue to try https://www.sks.co.uk/rb-draw-cabinet-jiggler-blank-set .
Working as an engineer I would hope you can make your own small version of these to fit https://m.banggood.com/DANIU-Treasury-D ... Country=GB but the skill to open them won't be instant.

The solution should never be to drill these, they are easy to pick.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock