FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lauren's Antique Padlock Restoration

<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Lauren's Antique Padlock Restoration

thats some very impressive work Lauren, thanks for always sharing it with us. gotta say, im a tiny bit jealous of the tools you have access to. what is it you do exactly?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Brilliant Job - as usual.

Question re: the decoder for the 6 lever lock.

Does it work like a circular lock decoder (ie a Peanut) or do you have to pick the lock with it?

If the second, I'd love to know how that is done on these locks (how do you get feedback).

Is there a post somewhere that you could point me to?

Thanks for sharing your inspiring work.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:39 am

The initial concept of the decoder came from the Dix Pix on David H's site (antique padlocks.com). I never used the Dix Pix, but I knew one day I would make my own version. It was just a question of finding the right materials, particularly the material to hold the needles in place. I use vinyl. This tool should never be sold as an Ace pick. It won't work like that. The locks need to be decoded using a mini caliper (a carefully made L-wire). Sometimes, certain locks can be picked open using hasp tension. Anyway, the decoding info. is used to set set the depth of each needle. I use the end of a dial caliper. I have one caliper used just for this application. I had to grind the end of the caliper to the width of one lever tumbler (or one needle). Once the lock is open, I take an impression of the staggered lever tumblers using my decoder and I tighten the set screws. I use the other end of the tool to extended the image of the levers. When a key is cut correctly the key will fit perfectly into the opposite end of the tool. My initial prototype of my decoder worked wonderfully on all Miller type padlocks until I encounter one with an extra thin key way. I had to grind the sides of the needles to accommodate the padlock. I an now satisfied the my tool will continue to do the job that I designed it to do. I can make one of these tools for anyone who wants one. Today's asking price is $35.00 plus S & H.

Someone stated that he/she like the tools that I have access to. What- a Home Depot drill press and a Harbor Freight slide vise? My strongest tool is my brain. Locksmiths love to pick brains.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 am

Aha, the pick must be named for Bob Dix!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:02 pm

I've been working extensively on making replacement keys for higher security 6 lever antique padlocks. I just got done tooling an Eagle 6 lever lock, and now I'm working on attacking a "New Champion 6 Lever" padlock. So far, the results are wonderful on the New Champion lock. My technique seems to be working well. I don't pick these locks, I decode them. I can't wait for the finished key. Hopefully, my newest lock isn't seized up inside. Don't confuse this lock with the push key style. This lock is a swing lever design.
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:30 pm

SUCCESS!!!!!

I decoded this lock in the locked position and made a key without picking it open. Completely non-destructive.

I am the "NEW CHAMPION" :cool:

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

A tip of the hat to a job very well done!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Well done indeed. Always appreciate you sharing some of your latest projects!

Much of what you do is beyond me at this point... all the more reason I enjoy it.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:21 am

"A COOL WAY...TO DISPLAY...YOUR FAVORITE PADLOCKS"

I modified these collecting card cases to display some of my antique padlocks, http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=652. I lined the back of the case with sticky back felt (available at craft stores, such as "MICHAELS"). I initially used a transparent mini hook from 3M, COMMAND BRAND. But I later used the small hooks for hanging balloons made by the same company. This approach, combined with fishing line, enabled me to accommodate varying hasp sizes. These locks (shown below) are actually free hanging in the cases. The average cost per display is about $I.60. later I plan to build an oak base to support these individual cases. This approach will allow me to make the base any length I want. I can even do multi-stacked bases.

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 am

Those are great display cases. The price is perfect, too. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:11 am

Gotta love those boxes great idea. :agree:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:55 pm

I wonder if that Arco padlock derived from the arco rifken company that makes the locking bank bags?
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:03 pm

jones wrote:I wonder if that Arco padlock derived from the arco rifken company that makes the locking bank bags?

"ARCO" was not a company name based on the research I did. The name describes shape if anything.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:57 pm

Very cool idea! My older locks are simply hanging from screws on the wall.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

escher7

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 pm

"Someone stated that he/she like the tools that I have access to. What- a Home Depot drill press and a Harbor Freight slide vise? My strongest tool is my brain. Locksmiths love to pick brains."

Exactly! Give me a $10,000 lathe and a matching mill and I will build just about anything. The true art and what you do so well, is to improvise with minimal equipment.
PreviousNext

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock