FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lauren's Antique Padlock Restoration

<<

Lauren

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Lauren's Antique Padlock Restoration

If anyone has an old American made padlock (preferably without a key) that would be worthy of another chapter in my book, let me know. I'm always looking for the next chapter. It's getting harder to find new things to write about. I already have one new chapter finished (yes, MBI there will be a fourth edition).
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Lauren wrote:If anyone has an old American made padlock (preferably without a key) that would be worthy of another chapter in my book, let me know. I'm always looking for the next chapter. It's getting harder to find new things to write about. I already have one new chapter finished (yes, MBI there will be a fourth edition).

I have a Dietz that I think would be interesting.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Those three lever Dietz can be tricky. If the fence gets bent, the stop on the lever tumblers will drop in elevation preventing key insertion, particularly on the barrel type A-keyways. Show me a picture of your locks everyone. Post them here in this thread.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:06 pm

macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:53 am

That's a beauty. Have you ever been able to pick the lock open? What's the condition of the springs: shackle and lever tumblers?
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:42 am

Lauren wrote:That's a beauty. Have you ever been able to pick the lock open? What's the condition of the springs: shackle and lever tumblers?

I have not tried to pick it open. It locked in the open position, but I don't see any problems that would keep it from opening.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Lauren You ever sell your locks ?? :combolock:
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:51 pm

I have sold padlocks, but I don't make a business of buying old locks and making keys. There's no money in it, especially with the amount of time that goes into the process. Plus, it's not cool to pass off keys as originals, unless you openly state it in the listing. It's more fun to make a key, make a tool, invent a process, and see the lock work again, and say, "I did this".
Last edited by Lauren on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Farmall, if you think it's worth the shipping cost, I may be interested in making a key for your lock. But it may be broken. Ideally, the lock is decode-able, I would make a key for you, I do a write up on it (maybe it's book worthy, maybe not), and you get your lock back in working condition with the key. You just pay shipping both ways.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Lauren wrote:Farmall, if you think it's worth the shipping cost, I may be interested in making a key for your lock. But it may be broken. Ideally, the lock is decode-able, I would make a key for you, I do a write up on it (maybe it's book worthy, maybe not), and you get your lock back in working condition with the key. You just pay shipping both ways.

DEAL....
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:16 pm

That's cool Lauren love to see what you have if any for sale?

Lauren wrote:I have sold padlocks, but I don't make a business of buying old locks and making keys. There's no money in it, especially with the amount of time that goes into the process. Plus, it's not cool to pass off keys as originals, unless you openly state it in the listing. It's more fun to make a key, make a tool, invent a process, and see the lock work again, and say, "I did this".
Jim
<<

Lauren

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:17 pm

What do you think makes this Miller padlock so special?

Notice the shackle is stamped, "PATENT PENDING". This padlock represents the evolution of production as MILLER introduced the shackle reinforcement pin above the "H" in "CHAMPION". Obviously, the design change was implemented before a patent was awarded. Also, notice the side of the lock body has the patent number missing. Strangely, there is some evidence of a patent number where one would expect to find it; just corner fragments. This lock was deliberately casted without the patent number and the missing number is not due to wear.

Another interesting collectable aspect of this padlock is found in the tumblers themselves. I always wondered if Miller produced tumblers that require no displacement, meaning the tumbler gate is already in alignment with fence in the rest position. Number three lever tumbler is such a tumbler. The depth cut is .170 inch deep. Comparing this to a "null cut" at depth cuts of .025 inch increment, suggests close to seven possible depth cuts within various padlocks. In addition, this padlock has absolutely no wear on the lever tumber edges. Many padlocks are often obtained with knife-like edges due to heavy use and wear. It's almost like this padlocks was locked once and left outside during its lifetime. Cool!!!! :cool:
Last edited by Lauren on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:32 pm

That's a pretty neat find.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:37 pm

WoW nice lock and work on it Lauren :discus:
Jim
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks, MBI & Spuds.

I was able to cut the key bitting free-handed against an arbored, mini-disc cutter in my drill press. I don't need the control of using my slide-vise like I show in my book.
PreviousNext

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock