FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to Pick and make a Key for a Wise-Lock Padlock

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Won this on eBay and received it recently. It is a Wise-Lock padlock.
***In Curly's voice... Nyuck nyuck nyuck! Wise-Lock, eh?***

In this next picture, you see what looks like a button. It is the ‘axle’ on which the two parts of the lock pivot.

Looked it up in the padlock code books, and it specifically states that the lock can not be disassembled without permanent damage. So, sorry folks. No physical breakdown pictures. :-(

Before we demonstrate picking this lock, here is a drawing I made to show how the locking mechanism works. Ignore the measurements for the time being. More accurately, this is a drawing of the front half of the lock. In another format, this would be the plug, with the bottom of the drawing being the sheer line.

Close up, you can see more how this works. The blue is the lock body. The pink is the outer pin. Yellow is the center pin. And orange is the inner pin. (Those are the terms used in the Reed Padlock Code Books).

This works very much like a single pin stack in a Mul-T-Lock. But instead of pin-in-pin, this lock has pin-in-pin-in-pin. :-D

Under each pin there is a separate driver pin and spring. So there are inner, center, and outer driver pins and springs. Here is a top view. The white section (and the dotted line passing through the pins) represents the keyway.

OK, enough background on the lock. Now you probably want to know how to pick this lock. First, look into the keyway…

Hey, you can see all three pins! Access is not an issue. All you need to do us use some form of poker or straight pick to manipulate the pins. Will give this warning - the springs are s-t-r-o-n-g!!! Especially the outer two.

Hold the lock upright, and use your thumb to apply tension to one side of the lock. The binding order is simple - outer pin, center pin, inner pin. The first picture does not have me applying tension - there is no rotation of the lock body until the outer pin is picked. Then you will see as picking progresses towards the inner pin.

Outer pin picked:

Center pin picked:

Inner pin picked to false set (yes, the inner driver pin is shaped like a nail’s head, so it will give a false set):

Then pick the center pin again to get past the false set, and….

OPEN!

Yes, it really is that easy! Bet we now know why it came off the market. :roll:

Now that it is picked open, you can see the pins at the sheer line. Here are the driver pins (yes, they can still be pushed down with a pick)…

And the key pins from the keyway side of the lock. They can be measured or impressioned from this side.

Turn it around, and you can see the key pins from the sheer line side:

Tip it so the keyway is down, and you can see/measure the bitting even more easily!

If you want to physically see the bitting as it would be on a key, here is a tool that you can use. Took thin music wire and cut a stack of them. Two pieces of aluminum bar stock wrapped in clear tape (sticky side in, smooth side out), and two spring clamps. The smooth side of the tape on the aluminum helps to lightly hold the music wire in place, but still allows them to slide enough for impressioning the shape of the key.

It was easier just to measure the depths with a micrometer. That is where I got these measurements from the picture up above.

Found pictures of real Wise Lock keys, and used that for the overall shape of the key bow and shoulder. Added my measurements onto paper, cut it out, and pasted it onto brass stock.

Cut it out…

File to shape.

Sand the edges.

Drill the hole.

Slightly out of focus key. (camera kept focusing on the lock)

This is a type of push-key lock, so… push!

It works! Man, am I lucky or what? ;-)

Enjoy!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: How to Pick and make a Key for a Wise-Lock Padlock

Very cool, I have a key for one of those, or a very similar one made by Wise. The key looks to be a similar design, only I believe mine has a hole near the bitting for possibly key retaining. now to find a lock.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Just amazing, as always!!

Love that lock, pretty unique indeed!
Thanks so much for sharing! :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 pm

PhoneMan wrote:Very cool, I have a key for one of those, or a very similar one made by Wise. The key looks to be a similar design, only I believe mine has a hole near the bitting for possibly key retaining. now to find a lock.

eBay is your friend. There are a number of them there. ;-)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Someone give this man a medal! Great writeup as usual Gordon thank you
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:37 am

Great Tutorial!!! As always GW!!!
<<

ShadowCamo

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:31 am

That was awesome! You don't see a lot of those locks with that much chrome left on them! That's a really nice lock! Good job man!
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:36 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Looked it up in the padlock code books, and it specifically states that the lock can not be disassembled without permanent damage. So, sorry folks. No physical breakdown pictures. :-(

Ok, ok... I guess I'll let this one slide. lol

GREAT work Gordon! Love your drawings.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:20 pm

I have one of these locks. Just got it today, actually. All of the pins are stuck together. I've tried tons of lubricants and everything else I can think of to separate them. Any ideas on how I can get this bad boy working again?
<<

flywheel

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Good stuff, plus it saved me from looking up the needed info. I have a Champion 6-lever lock I want to make a key for and this impressioning method should do the trick. I'll count it as picked if I make a working key for it.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:42 pm

UnlockD wrote:I have one of these locks. Just got it today, actually. All of the pins are stuck together. I've tried tons of lubricants and everything else I can think of to separate them. Any ideas on how I can get this bad boy working again?

Try the old standby of WD-40 and poking the heck out of the pins individually. You can also try to shim it open to separate them.

Gordon
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Shimming eh.. How would one do that?
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:25 pm

nice job, gordon. it moved me so much that i went to my lock stash and did the wise a couple times for good measure.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:17 pm

UnlockD wrote:Shimming eh.. How would one do that?

Use a shim or thin feeler gauge in the slot where the padlock halves meet. Then move the pins in and out (starting at the outermost pin) until you feel the sheer line meet the shim. Slide the shim in, and then switch to the middle ring, repeat the process, then finally do the center pin.

Gordon
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:59 pm

You also might try this...

Tension the lock HEAVILY with your thumb as if you were going to pick it in the above section. Keep the tension heavy - it will bind only the outer pin. Now work on forcing the center (not inner) ring down. Hopefully this will force the center ring to move while keeping the outer ring held in place with the tension. If that frees up the center ring, then ease off tension and set the outer pin as if picking it. Once the outer pin is set, apply heavy tension again to bind the center ring. Now force the inner pin to move like you did the center ring.

Good luck, and keep us informed. Worst case scenario, send it to me, I'll see what I can do to free it up, and send it back to you. ;)

Gordon
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock