FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"XPUZMAG" Lock- Creative new lock design! (Pics + Video)

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:56 am

Re: "XPUZMAG" Lock- Creative new lock design! (Pics + Video)

Also it looks like that key can ONLY accept key bitting pins in those six positions. That means if you know what those bittings are, you know which pins to pick and which pins to ignore.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Yet another interesting find! I really enjoy all of these unusual locks you find, Marduk.

It would be a shame if the keys are only made in that configuration, only allowing for bitting in those 6 positions. Maybe there are blank keys with different patterns for the active pin positions?

It does appear that the indexing pin on the key will always be in the same place, which means that the rotating plate's position will be the same for all locks.

If this lock uses only one size of driver pin, then it will be vulnerable to a very easy decoding attack. A probe could be used to measure the maximum depth to which the pins can be depressed, and the bitting decoded from that information. A buildup key could then be assembled to open the lock.

With some major but very simple modifications, the key could be turned into a ring-shaped tensioning device.

...Mark
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm going to assume that the six important pin positions is random and they can use different depths.

If the lock is brand new. Yes I believe it will be extremely difficult to figure out. However, if the lock has been in use for over a year or two or three... Figuring out which pins are being used could be fairly trivial because of wear and tear. At that point it could probably be picked like a Van lock.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Guys!

I just spoke with the designer now and he confirmed that is will always be those same 6 pin positions on the key.

>I asked him about someone studying the lock and knowing which 6 pins are used and how it could possibly compromise the security. He said that although its possible someone could have that information, he thinks it would still be difficult to pick open. I don't know if he knows much about locksport or not, but he claims that it would be very difficult to feel the pins binding while Spp-ing them because the tolerances are high. (Locksport community testing needed, =P)

When asked about if he used any security pins, he said that until someone can pick this open he feels that security pins are not necessary.

When asked about how many possible key combinations were possible he said that he had the technology to have over 40 cuts per key prong. Making the total combinations 40^6 = over 4 billion key combinations! ( *This one I am still having a hard time believing*- maybe something was lost in translation)

If someone makes a video of themselves opening this lock I will send it to him personally and get his reaction.

At the end of the day though~ It's still cool to see some interesting ideas made into reality. Even if this does not become a popular residential lock~ at least we have another lock to analyze and play with!
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Marduk28 wrote:I just spoke with the designer now and he confirmed that is will always be those same 6 pin positions on the key.

And now it just got easy.

Take a key, any key. shorten all the pin lengths to the shallowest possible cut. Drill holes through them and turn it into a tubular style pick.

Think http://www.lockpickshop.com/PKA2.html
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 am

Faramerfreak,
Your idea is beautiful. +1.
:hbg:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:40 am

Before removing the pins in the key, trim them to the minimum depth and make it into a bump key. If it doesn't work, make your Sputnik pick. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:27 am

Marduk28 wrote:*This one I am still having a hard time believing*- maybe something was lost in translation)

Why sounds like - bullshit to me and will run with his low cost production lock anyways - lock manufactures do not like expensive design changes
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 am

Farmerfreak wrote:And now it just got easy. Take a key, any key. shorten all the pin lengths to the shallowest possible cut. Drill holes through them and turn it into a tubular style pick.
10ringo10 wrote:
Marduk28 wrote:*This one I am still having a hard time believing*- maybe something was lost in translation)

Why sounds like - bullshit to me and will run with his low cost production lock anyways - lock manufactures do not like expensive design changes

excellent - may be remove all pins but 1 as this may only be needed for tension - the top locating pin on key is just that - not for tension as I see it - and more to the point ? does it only need picking once for full rotation :twisted:
<<

scudo

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:06 am

Dunno if this answers the `amount of combinations` available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:00 pm

lets see, its the same old problem, turn the plug by setting the pins that have it locked. Like an ACE lock, you directly see the pins. the difference is pins in a circle vs pins around the face of the plug.

tension with a fork that uses two holes to hook on, flexible fork, so it can fit multiple dimensions between pin holes

shouldn't the pins near the center axis be under the greatest binding pressure? these will be the first ones to pick, in other words, picking order would be center and expanding circle around it, getting easier as you work the way out to the edges. The direct entry on the pins whether ace or in this one or the vann lock, direct entry on the pins is a weak system.

or is there something im not getting about this lock? six pins to set and others, ? not a problem, if it had 20 pins, you still have to know what to pick and what is set and leave the set ones alone.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Amazing lock. I can already picture the face of a locksmith coming to a service call and seeing this thing, lol.

The weather/dust protection was also the first thing I thought about. A simple O ring around attached to a cover covering the entire face would solve that problem and could be an add-on feature.

The key differently need a new design and Im even a bit surprised they agreed on the current design. Maybe to meet a deadline. That plastic body looks like it can easily break after a few drops not to mention the key cover will get lost almost immediately.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:13 pm

I Can indeed - when you tell them i can make you a new key - from a hot water bottle top - the look on there faces lol
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Would think that while the pins closest to the center of axis would be under the most tension, the outer pins, being further out, would travel farther and would likely bind first.

Showed pics of this lock to a local lockie, and was told it looks like a shower head for a minion (from the movie Despicable Me). Cracked me up. :)

Gordon
<<

scudo

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Would something like this which is adjustable tension it but made on a smaller scale the two lugs would grip the side of the part that rotates, this is from a vernier gauge (which I photoshopped)...

123.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scudo on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock