FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"PULL KEY" 5 pin Golden Mean Padlock (Demo Video)

<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:02 am

"PULL KEY" 5 pin Golden Mean Padlock (Demo Video)

Hey Guys,

I have been trying to track down one of these for long time and finally found it!

It's another Golden Mean padlock, but it has a specialized core which requires the cylinder to be pulled out, not rotated.

In this video I briefly compare all 3 Golden Mean styles and discuss what makes the pull key version so cool!

Sorry for not picking it, I honestly didn't know how. I will make some more picking videos soon!

Do you guys know any other examples of locks that require the key to pulled out rather than rotated?

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:26 am

Re: "PULL KEY" 5 pin Golden Mean Padlock (Demo Video)

Sweeeeet! Looks like the plug would have a cam on the end that pushes out the bearings to lock it. When the plug is turned, it would allow a stud in the plug to line up with a channel in the lock housing, permitting the core/cam to be pulled out enough to retract the bearings.

Major league cool, Marduk!!!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Gordon!

I had heard about this mechanism several months ago while talking to some local locksmiths about Golden Mean locks. They all told me that they haven't seen a pull key version in over 20 years and had no idea where any were.

I really wanted to get my hands on some so I have been searching for them ever since!
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm

that pull key lock is sick.. picking it would be interesting to say the least.

very cool find *drool*
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:that pull key lock is sick.. picking it would be interesting to say the least.

very cool find *drool*

You are right, AW. Picking it would be interesting. After picking it, make a two or three part pull tool that would wedge each part against each other and against the sides of the keyway? Or would you just use a deep hook to catch one of the longer key pins and tug on it? Any other ideas?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

I was thinking something like a disk detainer pick but with a 2 or 3 part body to hold it's self in place and assist with the pullout (lol) depending on how hard you have to pull.
I will draw out the idea when I have time (some time between Christmas and New years) .
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:06 am

Here's a cool photograph from collector "A. Carter" showing this lock featured in a publication. (not sure which one though)

<<

Lauren

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:54 pm

These locks have the strong odor of "CHINA". The first indicator in many of these overseas locks is the rubber collar around the hasp. I have seen this feature for the last 30 years. To pick these locks the spring needs to be retained from the rear or compressed . This takes the pressure off of the internal plug. An internal gripping tool grabs the internal walls while applying outward force. The lock is then single pin picked.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:53 am

This particular lock was invented and made in Taiwan.

Do you by chance have a picture of the gripping tool? Is it something that could be purchased or would have to be home made?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:33 am

It sounds like the idea I mentioned earlier. It would probably have to be home made.

Gordon
<<

Lauren

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Gordon has it right.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 am

[quote="Marduk28"]Hey Guys,

I have been trying to track down one of these for long time and finally found it!

It's another Golden Mean padlock, but it has a specialized core which requires the cylinder to be pulled out, not rotated.

In this video I briefly compare all 3 Golden Mean styles and discuss what makes the pull key version so cool!

Sorry for not picking it, I honestly didn't know how. I will make some more picking videos soon!

Do you guys know any other examples of locks that require the key to pulled out rather than rotated?

Verrrry Nice lock! I want one! where did you finally find it? :drool:
I have a lock that is very similar in that you turn the key, pull it out, then continue turning to pull the shackle. it's a Braun German diskus type lock. very cool.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:06 am

keymaster1053 wrote:
Marduk28 wrote:
I have a lock that is very similar in that you turn the key, pull it out, then continue turning to pull the shackle. it's a Braun German diskus type lock. very cool.

Can we get a picture? :drool:

Gordon
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:28 am

I met an old lock dealer with a big storage room full of old parts/tools/locks. I asked him if I could explore it. About 3 hours later I was covered in dirt but I found the lock!

I need to find another one though because I made a deal with a collector and it has recently been sold.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Marduk28 wrote:I met an old lock dealer with a big storage room full of old parts/tools/locks. I asked him if I could explore it. About 3 hours later I was covered in dirt but I found the lock!

I need to find another one though because I made a deal with a collector and it has recently been sold.

:???: after all that work?!!? damn, I woulda :boxing: for it LOL
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock