FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

CONTEST! PIN TUMBLER PICKING COMPETITION

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:14 pm

CONTEST! PIN TUMBLER PICKING COMPETITION

Pin Tumbler Lock Picking Competition

• Contest begins 00:00 Hrs UTC June 1, 2009 thru 24:00 Hrs UTC (midnight) June 30th 2009.

• Only KeyPicking members that display their locations in their profile are eligible to enter. If you don't show your location, go to your UCP (user control panel) at the TOP LEFT HAND CORNER of the page and fill it in now.

• Goal: To pick your most difficult removable core, pin tumbler lock (either padlock or rim/mortise cylinder) containing no less than five (5) pins, in the least amount of time - and post the deed on YouTube.

• Title your YouTube video exactly as follows: “KP Lockpicking Competition”

• Picking must be recorded in one continuous shot – no cuts, fades, or pauses.

• Clearly show your key bitting against a black background before commencing. Time commences when the pick enters the keyway.

• Once picked, you must gut the lock and clearly show individual key and driver pin types, all while continuously recording.

• Lock must be SPP'd (single pin picked).

• RAKING, COMB PICKS, PICKGUNS, OR OTHER FORMS OF DESTRUCTIVE BYPASSING ARE NOT PERMITTED.

• PICKING TOOLS ARE RESTRICTED TO ONLY ONE (1) SHORT HOOK AND ONE (1) TENSION WRENCH – MULTIPLE TOOL/WRENCH ASSORTMENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED. HOMEBREW SHORT HOOKS ARE PERMITTED!

• You earn 0 to a maximum of 10 points for your efforts.

• Earn two (2) extra points for picking a lock containing six (6) or more pins, for a maximum overall combined point score of 12.

• Score is based on following percentages: speed of picking (not gutting or dismantling) = 50%, difficulty of bitting = 25%, and pin types = 25%.

• The two (2) best entries will be chosen by the KeyPicking moderators and the final winner chosen by Alan @ UKLockpickers.

• Winner will receive $100 USD/£50 GBP credit to purchase any item of the member’s choosing from UKLockpickers.co.uk website!

**Personal note to the highly advanced guys, working locksmiths, and old pros – and you know who you are:

Although it is a huge boost to your ego to crush the little guys just starting out in this hobby, please refrain from that type of activity. This competition is about creating an atmosphere of collegiality among your peers.

It reflects better on you to be the cheerleader and coach to the new members busting their knuckles to try their skill and luck at winning – than it is to walk away with another notch on your pick.

Let your conscience be your guide and do the right thing.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

*** NOTE - A specific LOCKPICKING COMPETITION subforum will be set up for listing your entries

HOOK TYPES PERMITTED #8 AND 4TH FROM THE TOP ON SECOND PHOTO
picks-600.jpg
europicks1-400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: CONTEST! PIN TUMBLER PICKING COMPETITION

well, i will step back and let some of our newer members dip their pix.
good luck to all,and as hallis noted,
i will be here to coach ,and to encourage all the competitors.
if anyone needs any help,feel free to pm me.
now lets see some knock-down drag-out pick wars =)
Wiz
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm

well.... this will be fun! hope i have one lying around, or i will go out and buy one
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm

awol70 wrote:well, i will step back and let some of our newer members dip their pix.
Wiz

Classy thing to do Wiz - class is as class does. :)
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 pm

About time someone threw down the gauntlet. 1 pick 1 wrench is a good one. Strictly short hook... that was a suprise. Is there a tip type or hook height that would be excluded from qualifying as a short hook, or am I reading to far into it? How about an offset mini diamond short hook :mrgreen:

Great contest idea. HC
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun May 10, 2009 10:16 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:About time someone threw down the gauntlet. 1 pick 1 wrench is a good one. Strictly short hook... that was a suprise. Is there a tip type or hook height that would be excluded from qualifying as a short hook, or am I reading to far into it? How about an offset mini diamond short hook :mrgreen:

Great contest idea. HC

For purposes of clarification, my definition of a short hook is pick shape #8, as depicted in the attached photo (below).

picks-600.jpg

However, the Euro style thin short hook is also acceptable - as shown in pick style #4 (from the top).
europicks1-400.jpg

No hybrids, no half diamonds, no snowballs, no half snowballs - just a simple short hook.
;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon May 11, 2009 8:58 am

Start practicing - contest coming up!

READ THE RULES!
<<

jkthecjer

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 am

This is an awesome contest; bare-bones, no-BS SPP!

Unfortunately, the only cylinders that could satisfy it that I have with me (deployment to Africa) are:

Medeco m3 - played out
Medeco Biaxial - played out
Mul-T-Lock Interactive - still working on it + only hooks
Kwikset - too easy

The bandwidth here will make uploading a video quite a task indeed, but not impossible. Also, been in the hobby for over 3 years and am very happy with my progression; not looking to ruin the fun for anyone. For these reasons, I'll likely also be taking a back-seat on this one. However, if I start popping the MTL with a short hook; its game-on (assuming that cylinder is eligible) :-)

In the meantime, here is something that I figured out not long ago that might help you guys out. Its an easy picking notation system that I've found greatly increases both speed and consistency when its applied to a single specific cylinder (like the contest calls for). Its toward the bottom of this page: http://theamazingking.com/lock-ana.html
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon May 11, 2009 11:44 am

jkthecjer wrote: However, if I start popping the MTL with a short hook; its game-on (assuming that cylinder is eligible) :-)

Right now, the competitiion will involve pin tumbler locks w/ removable cores.

No dimple locks at this time - but that does raise the possibility of a future picking contest for dimple-type locks only -or some other equally worthy challenge!

Let's get past this hurdle and then I'll start thinking of something more devious for all of the hotshot "pickslingers" - a sort of "Player's Only Death Match". I know a lot of good guys that are sitting this one out - so I think it's only fair we do another contest for them to showcase their talents and thus enthrall the masses.

Sound good?
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 11, 2009 1:46 pm

jkthecjer wrote:This is an awesome contest; bare-bones, no-BS SPP!

Unfortunately, the only cylinders that could satisfy it that I have with me (deployment to Africa) are:

Medeco m3 - played out
Medeco Biaxial - played out
Mul-T-Lock Interactive - still working on it + only hooks
Kwikset - too easy

The bandwidth here will make uploading a video quite a task indeed, but not impossible. Also, been in the hobby for over 3 years and am very happy with my progression; not looking to ruin the fun for anyone. For these reasons, I'll likely also be taking a back-seat on this one. However, if I start popping the MTL with a short hook; its game-on (assuming that cylinder is eligible) :-)

In the meantime, here is something that I figured out not long ago that might help you guys out. Its an easy picking notation system that I've found greatly increases both speed and consistency when its applied to a single specific cylinder (like the contest calls for). Its toward the bottom of this page: http://theamazingking.com/lock-ana.html

fascinating mate I'm intrigued, what an idea. Ive read your notes on theamzingking website, very clever. I have to make a friend of mine a tutorial video on how to pick a lockwood lock, so I'm gonna try out writing instructions like you suggested as well as the vid, I will let you no how I get on : ) ;) ;) having trouble with me camera at the min though : (
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 11, 2009 2:54 pm

awol70 wrote:well, i will step back and let some of our newer members dip their pix.
Wiz

my first competition, hey wiz any suggestions on a lock type to use? i have a few i was thinking about but idk help me out =) thanks, and im going to the post tm with your core
practice practice practice
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon May 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Windowstweeker wrote:
Wiz

my first competition, hey wiz any suggestions on a lock type to use? i have a few i was thinking about but idk help me out =) thanks, and im going to the post tm with your core

hmm,what do you have to work with?
American locks have been done to death..
lemme know what you have.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 11, 2009 3:29 pm

awol70 wrote:
Windowstweeker wrote:
Wiz

hmm,what do you have to work with?
American locks have been done to death..
lemme know what you have.

i know americans have been done to death lol thats why i am asking =)
i dont want to use a master, but i can add mega securities to them, but still
Master:
911, pro 6830, pro 6840, 930, 930 with lockout core, a master lockout (and i can cut it open on cam n gut), 996

Federal 90A and yale (but they are american keyways =/

abus 83/45 kwickset and schlage, abus 72/40

kryptonite(looks like a 930) stanley(schlage keyways) and a kryptonite kss2(schlage)

i think thats all of them that i can gut excluding americans lol

thanks for the help i hope thats easy to read
practice practice practice
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 pm

CLARIFICATION: HOMEBREWED SHORT HOOKS ARE PERMITTED!

THE IDEA IS TO USE ONLY A SHORT HOOK, REGARDLESS IF IT IS MANUFACTURED OR HOMEBREWED. RULES HAVE BEEN AMENDED ACCORDINGLY.

SEE VIDEO BELOW.

<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 pm

CLARIFICATION # 2:

LOCK TYPES - REMOVEABLE CORE PIN TUMBLER PADLOCK, MORTISE OR RIM CYLINDER, (MINIMUM 5 PINS) THAT YOU PERSONALLY OWN OR HAVE PERMISSION TO PICK.

Q: But can I pick a lock that I don't have a key for?

A: No. We need to see the key bitting against a black background. READ THE RULES!

If we can't see the bitting - let alone the key, then you're not abiding by the rules!

Come on guys - read the rules and use common sense.
:roll:
Next

Return to Contests