FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Contests? Who really freaking cares?

Should KeyPicking cease putting on lockpicking competitions alltogether?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 25
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Re: Contests? Who really freaking cares?

The dimple locks I have are jokes. My entry would be a video of me opening an MTL 7x7 in 5 seconds from memorized binding order; therefore I refrained.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:04 pm

xe0 wrote:The dimple locks I have are jokes. My entry would be a video of me opening an MTL 7x7 in 5 seconds from memorized binding order; therefore I refrained.

would be cool in the beginner contest ;)
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Keep the contests going, I have never entered because I am not an advanced picker, and I have slow internet and it makes it really hard to do the whole youtube thing. I can pick common everyday locks without alot of problems, but beyond that, I am out.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Also, like the dumbass newbie I am, I voted wrong.

I meant to vote to keep the contests, but pressed the wrong field. One of the votes to stop the contests is actually a vote to keep them going.

::newbie::
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:55 am

Competitions are great, it'd be a shame to see them go... they're good fun, we just need competitions that are a little more universal. To be fair, yeah everyone can get a dimple lock... but most dimples are in euro profile form so yeah you can take em apart but putting them back together again requires special tools. And nobody wants their nice locks lying around in bits, hell I have a padlock core here which has been in pieces for pretty close to a year just cos I lost the damn clip.

One other thing on dimple locks, in my experience they only come in 2 categories... ridulously easy, or next to impossible. I guess MTL is somewhere around the middle but not everybody can get one of those either. There's no point entering a competition with a really shitty lock, so most people just decide not to. I know the idea is to have fun but it'd be nice to at least have a shot at the prize, right?

Take me, for example. The only dimple locks I currently own which I can actually pick are a 7 pin chinese piece of crap and a 5 pin DOM - both of those are euros, so I couldn't even enter those as I haven't got the means to reassemble them after gutting. Trust me, if it wasn't for that, I would've entered with the DOM just for shits and giggles. :mrgreen:

The medeco competition before was the same deal, not easy locks to get hold of and most people who do have them have a hard time picking them. I was only able to enter because kokomo just so happened to send me one and I had a few days to practice like hell on it. If we're gonna have competitions, it needs to be picking something which is resonably easy to get aswell as easy to gut/reassemble with a basic plug follower and tweezers. Everyone can get those.

And one last thing, if someone hasn't been here for 6 months there should be exceptions in some cases. We have a few new members here who show real potential, they haven't just floated over from another site and I feel they'll be staying here for quite some time... so I think it's fair to let them enter even if they haven't been here that long. If some guy just signs up when a comp is announced and doesn't seem interested in much other than the competition then by all means, can his ass. But not the genuine people. Tarquin, Xeo, Xrax and sandman are all great members and I feel we should make an exception in their case. Not many people who sign up here stick around properly, so when they do I feel it's our job to make them feel like they're a real part of the group here. Cos they are.

Those are my 2 pennies. :mrgreen:
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:56 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Keep the contests going, I have never entered because I am not an advanced picker, and I have slow internet and it makes it really hard to do the whole youtube thing. I can pick common everyday locks without alot of problems, but beyond that, I am out.

:agree: I am in the same boat. Except LPK and I aren't sailors... But seriously, I enjoy watching the contests unfold. I too am not an advanced picker and have really shitty internet. Uploading just a picture takes forever and a smoke break. That's why I never pushed for any contests, but I don't necessarily want them to stop either.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Solomon wrote:And one last thing, if someone hasn't been here for 6 months there should be exceptions in some cases. We have a few new members here who show real potential, they haven't just floated over from another site and I feel they'll be staying here for quite some time... so I think it's fair to let them enter even if they haven't been here that long. If some guy just signs up when a comp is announced and doesn't seem interested in much other than the competition then by all means, can his ass. But not the genuine people. Tarquin, Xeo, Xrax and sandman are all great members and I feel we should make an exception in their case. Not many people who sign up here stick around properly, so when they do I feel it's our job to make them feel like they're a real part of the group here. Cos they are.

Those are my 2 pennies. :mrgreen:

That's easy. :agree:

I can change this:

B) Be members of the forum for a minimum of six (6) months

C) Have a minimum of 60 posts on the forum

To this: "Be members of the forum for a minimum of six (6) months or have a minimum of sixty (60) posts on the forum."

But by the same token, I don't want some twerp coming in here and posting stupid post whore comments like "Cool", "OMG!", "LOL" sixty times either. :steam:
<<

ImSchatten360

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 am

I really like those contests!
I am quite new here so I can't take part, but I love looking at the videos of the contestants.
Sometimes I think, "ok I could have done that" and sometimes I just sit in front of my computer and think "what da fuck, how is this possible".
Then I turn of my computer and pick a lock to be in good shape when I am ready to take part :D
So please don't stop.
The whole contest thing is a great unique thing.

ImSchatten360

PS: The problem with dimple locks is that the ones with many pins are a pain to put back together after gutting. I would like to see kokomolock to gut his 10 pin DOM and then put it back together :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/ImSchatten360 Wanted: Bilock, For Sale: ASSA RUKO 3
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Ok guys, I've decided to keep the contests going for the time being.

Let me recoup and regroup and see how we'll proceed with future ideas.

HC
Previous

Return to Contests