FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

strangest cylinder and key in the world??????

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Re: strangest cylinder and key in the world??????

Good eye, Doogs! Missed that. :oops:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Good eye, Doogs! Missed that. :oops:

Gordon

Something else I just noticed Gordon is that either side of the key would have to be reverse imaged (tip to shoulder, shoulder to tip) in order for the key to work from both ends of the plug(s) as they are reversed.

No I'm wrong! One side of the key operates one end of the lock and vice versa. I think that's right anyway. Strange setup either way.

ETA: This would make for a serious headache for master keying. Anyone want to crunch some numbers on that? I wonder how many depths they have.

This lock needs to be identified!

I wonder if it's a Soviet design?
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

darijan

Post Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:58 pm

pins on both sides of the cylinder are active created equal resistance. And I think that's 21 pin is too much and because off that I tried to pick a pins and all are active problem is that they go the entire length and it is difficult to see and be 100% sure.
someone has invested a lot of effort. but I did not expect one cylindar will make this much confusion and curiosity unbelievable
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:33 am

Indeed - any chance of seeing this gutted in the not too distant future this would be great !
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:29 am

Any chance of telling where and how you found this lock.

You say you came across it by accident. If you could tell us where you found it it might help in tracking it down.

I'm definitely intrigued.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 am

Hello darijan, it's always nice to find a strange or different lock. Thanks for posting about it.

I've one that looks somewhat similar, it was a present from a friend at LockCon 2013, here it is.
Two pin rows, all active and working. Not that difficult to pick, but still better than a 5 pin cheap one.

Cheers :)
<<

darijan

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Hello guys I am glad that I have cylindar that is of interest to you (although I did not expect) that have seen a lot of locks, keys, locks and high security locks and you opened them. As far as this Cylindr I heard something but the information is not reliable because I will not publish them. I hope that you will understand. but tomorrow I think I have reliable information that I will gladly share with you.
and another thing tomorrow my friend told me that he thinks he has another same cylinder on an old door and will give it to me.
if it is the same cylinder I promise that I send it by mail to the person who is a desire to try lock pick. and then let the exchanges to all who are interested. I honestly do not lock pick like a pro. I do safes so I'm not so expert in such things, especially because I had to make a tool and I think it would not work.

Neilau first thx for welcom cylindar I got from my best friend he was in the market where they sell used tools and similar things mostly for little money from some old man who resells old stuff to feed his family.
knowing that I'm interested in the lock he bought as a gift
the reason that I have never seen such a cylinder and key, I published on the site to get some information.
I never expected it to become such a mystery but we can solve and some of you will lock pick.
<<

darijan

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Finally the mystery was solved.
AS cylindar invented and patented by Slavko Curcic from Bosnia and Herzegovina former Yugoslavia. AS cylindar (cylinder label is AS) was made in 1985 Slavko was the electrical engineer worked in security systems in addition to that, he was a professional karate fighter he had a very successful fighting career and later became karate referee.
He was killed in the war in 1992, and because there are not many of these locks.
This is what I read in the daily newspaper.
I will put a link if you're interested translate with google translate or something like G .T
In the daily newspaper say that still is not someone broke into a room that is at the door had AS Cylinder (just to mention that the ex Yugoslavia had serious criminals and there are still here but still not break Cylinder :-))

http://www.oslobodjenje.ba/index.php?id=20558
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am

Mystery solved, and with an interesting story even.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Very cool stuff.
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. My guess is that the reason for the keyway being off-set from the center is a cost savings measure. When you have pins off-center in the plug you have to do something to keep them from rotating since they have to be beveled at the shear line. They can be tear drop shaped pins like DOM or some other method. If you align one row of pins in the middle it means only half of the pins have to be specially manufactured, the center row can use regular pins off your main manufacturing line. Then you only have to retool for half the pins in the lock and you have half as many to make.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:27 pm

WOW! That was an interesting history lesson on the AS Slavko lock. You certainly found a keeper there.

P.S. Keep your eye out for more and scoop them up as I can guarantee the crew here will snatch them up in a flash should like to sell them.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

darijan

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:11 pm

As I promised I'll find another 1 maybe 2 AS cylinder and share them only these days I'm busy so you do not have time to seek and inquire but I promised and will be so.
regards to all
<<

Fredo the Crow

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:44 am

I'd be definitely interested in trading one of those with you, shall you find other exemplars in the future. Thank you for sharing it with us.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Fredo the Crow wrote:I'd be definitely interested in trading one of those with you, shall you find other exemplars in the future. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Fredo - glad to see you are alright. My heartfelt condolences for the terror attacks.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Fredo the Crow

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Thank you Gordon, that's very kind of you.

But life must go on really. If we stop enjoying it, it would mean the bastards won somehow... I'm already concerned enough by our government future reactions. It will most likely end up with new laws passed that diminish our liberties even more, while at the same time not doing anything to thwart terrorists.

But I'm drifting... let's not get too political, it's only a lock addicts forum afterall! And hopefully I'll have a lot of interesting stuff for you all to post in the coming weeks! Traders: warm your wallets and dig out your duplicates... :)
PreviousNext

Return to Your Lock Collections