FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Can I cut the plastic bow cover off my Mul-T-Lock MT5+ key?

<<

brirec

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:56 am

Can I cut the plastic bow cover off my Mul-T-Lock MT5+ key?

Hi,

New to these parts, but I’ve been around the community for a little while. Papa Gleb convinced me to sign up while we were talking about making keys by hand. But I digress.

I wanted to know if anyone knows if a Mul-T-Lock MT5+ key is “full tang,” that is, it extends fully through the bow cover and has a hole in it. In other words, if I cut the plastic handle off my key to make it fit my key ring better (it is very disproportionately large compared to the rest of my non- MTL keys.)

Also, what about the Interactive?

I ask because out of slight OCD and the fact that all the rest of the keys I carry around are pure metal I’d like to take the plastic piece off of the two that have one…

Thanks!
br
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Can I cut the plastic bow cover off my Mul-T-Lock MT5+ k

Maybe you could investigate by using a small magnet, or drill tiny repairable holes to find out?
<<

brirec

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:38 pm

The main part of the key (that is, everything but the Alpha Spring and its retention system) is definitely not ferrous and doesn't stick to a magnet. I haven't tried drilling holes, but that's not my ideal preferred way to figure this out. If I go to the store where I got the lock and get another key that's $15. I don't really want to risk somehow hurting the key and having to spend $15 to get another spare — I know the chances are slim to none when it comes to drilling tiny holes in the plastic bow, but I'm an IT guy so I sympathize when someone wants to leave something they're not an expert in to others…
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:54 am

I can't answer this question but have you called the company and asked them? I would think they would be able to tell you. Good luck!
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 am

Great idea Tarboxb.
:agree:

Return to Uber-Noob