FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Multlock holes in the side of the cylinder

<<

least

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Multlock holes in the side of the cylinder

Hello,
I've got a Multlock 7x7 and the MTL300 euro cylinders and both have five holes in the side of the lock body - 7x7 have it in the right side of the body(so you can peek into the keyway from the side) and the MTL300 have the holes on both sides...
Do you have any idea what are those holes for?
Kind regards,
Michal
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Re: Multlock holes in the side of the cylinder

I think they collect the small steel balls used to disable the construction keys. When you use the user key for the first time the small balls are raised over the shear line. When the plug passes over those holes the spheres fall in them. From that moment the construction key no longer works.

Cheers :)
<<

least

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Well, I'm not sure if that is the case, as those holes are not aligned with the chambers; actually the holes seem to be in between the chambers - I should've mention that...
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:09 pm

Nope. They are there for one or more short stubby passive keypins. They're used for keyblank control or in master systems. You'll sometimes see keys with small dimples along the edge of the key, this is what they do.

They don't affect picking at all.

If all goes well, here is a pic of one such key:

https://images.app.goo.gl/7Z6idAVwxENWck9YA
<<

least

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:50 am

You are absolutely right, it never occurred to me to try and look at the opposite side of the bible...
The 7x7 has such a configuration, that the through hole probably serves as an access for drilling the passive pin "chambers"...
The MTL300 is different - the holes go fully through on both sides; the only explanation that comes to mind is, that as this should be some low cost option, they probably wanted to make sure, there will not be such possibility at all (as they probably share lock bodies between models)...

Thank you for your help!

Michal

Return to Uber-Noob