FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Avocet ABS MK3 - No Key

<<

locked_inside

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 am

Avocet ABS MK3 - No Key

Hi All,

I recently bought a place that has an Avocet ABS MK3 locking the back door (closed), but no key! I have keys for the rest of the place (more Avocets), but none turn the back door lock.

I know my options are limited, and I've seen various defeaters/unlock tools being advertised, and they might actually be cheaper than getting a locksmith in (who may just drill the lock anyway). And I don't have the patience to learn to lock pick, and attempt to pick something like that.

And then I thought about snapping it. I know it has a sacrificial front to prevent this, but since I have access to the inside, I wondered if that was worth a go?

Has anybody done this? If so were there any complications after the snap?

Or would anybody recommend some good drill bits :soldier:

Thanks!
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:55 am

Re: Avocet ABS MK3 - No Key

if you have access to the back of the door why would you drill it? Remove the lock and rekey or replace.
you only need to drill a lock if you cant access the room/building the lock is protecting.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

locked_inside

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:if you have access to the back of the door why would you drill it? Remove the lock and rekey or replace.
you only need to drill a lock if you cant access the room/building the lock is protecting.

Hi, forgive my noobness, but do I not need a key for this? I would rekey - but I wasn't left the unique number card they come with either!

The door is closed and locked, i just don't have the keys. Luckily there's a way into the garden without this door, but it's a bit frustrating :D

Thanks for answering, though!
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:05 pm

locked_inside wrote:
Anarchy_won wrote:if you have access to the back of the door why would you drill it? Remove the lock and rekey or replace.

Hi, forgive my noobness, but do I not need a key for this? I would rekey - but I wasn't left the unique number card they come with either!

The door is closed and locked, i just don't have the keys. Luckily there's a way into the garden without this door, but it's a bit frustrating :D

Thanks for answering, though!

I am not familiar with the Avocet line of locks (I have never seen one here in Canada) is it keyed on both sides? or is one side a thumb turn?
but that is besides the point if you just acquired your house. I would recommend having a locksmith rekey your whole house as you dont know who had keys for those locks before you acquired it.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi locked_inside. Much as I love working on locks, I gotta be honest - jobs like this are *exactly* what locksmiths are good at and you're crazy to attempt this yourself.

The options you mention are crude at best and have all kinds of implications for insurance and security and potential damage to your door and locking hardware. Just ring a locksmith.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:46 am

Don't snap it!! If the core pops out a little (from snapping, drilling, pulling, or whatever) the cam locks down and then you are in a real world of pain.

Return to Uber-Noob