FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Your ultimate dream pick and tool set

<<

GutterClown

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 am

Re: Your ultimate dream pick and tool set

X-ray (or more correctly, Radiology) is a method used in safe attacks.

some safe locks, ie: S&G 8400, are designed specifically to defend against 'x-ray'.
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I heard that, but I thought awol was joking.
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Who makes the best cases for pick sets, zippered and otherwise?
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:03 pm

How are the Falle Variable Tension tools? Anyone have experience with them?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:15 pm

C0mmanderCha0s wrote:Who makes the best cases for pick sets, zippered and otherwise?

Funny, we spend hundreds of dollars on picksets and stick them in an old piece of leather or some other type of cloth to cradle our cherished possessions.

To be honest, I don't think any of the Southord or other offerings really hold up very well. I do have a set of ProLok and HPC picksets that have a decent case - but the weak link is always the zipper. None of the picksets I have has a really good, heavy duty zipper.

I cannot tell you how pissed off I get spending big bucks on a pick set only to have the g*dd@mn zipper break and start losing teeth like a drunk hillbilly at a square dance. :x

If you are so inclined, I'd really recommend buying yourself a good thick 8 oz chunk of vegtan leather, get out your sewing awl, head knife, and start laying stitches. That way you can custom build what you want - the way you want it.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:25 pm

GutterClown wrote:X-ray (or more correctly, Radiology) is a method used in safe attacks.

some safe locks, ie: S&G 8400, are designed specifically to defend against 'x-ray'.

lead,by any chance..?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:53 am

awol70 wrote:lead,by any chance..?

acetal resin wheels. invisible. ;)

http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/MC-8400.php
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:57 am

C0mmanderCha0s wrote:Who makes the best cases for pick sets, zippered and otherwise?

I'm not sure if you have any locally, but I often use the local Saddler (guys who make saddles for horses) and get him to make leather sheaths for my knives.

I assume they would also make something personally suited to your needs, if you give them a design and a few tools to form around.

Otherwise, you could try your nearest Upholster \ Motor-trimmer.
The thickness, durability and color range of most Rip-stop canvas' today are hard to beat.
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:

Funny, we spend hundreds of dollars on picksets and stick them in an old piece of leather or some other type of cloth to cradle our cherished possessions.

To be honest, I don't think any of the Southord or other offerings really hold up very well. I do have a set of ProLok and HPC picksets that have a decent case - but the weak link is always the zipper. None of the picksets I have has a really good, heavy duty zipper.

I cannot tell you how pissed off I get spending big bucks on a pick set only to have the g*dd@mn zipper break and start losing teeth like a drunk hillbilly at a square dance. :x

If you are so inclined, I'd really recommend buying yourself a good thick 8 oz chunk of vegtan leather, get out your sewing awl, head knife, and start laying stitches. That way you can custom build what you want - the way you want it.

I agree on the home brew....I also agree on the crap that most companies put out.
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm

GutterClown wrote:

I'm not sure if you have any locally, but I often use the local Saddler (guys who make saddles for horses) and get him to make leather sheaths for my knives.

I assume they would also make something personally suited to your needs, if you give them a design and a few tools to form around.

Otherwise, you could try your nearest Upholster \ Motor-trimmer.
The thickness, durability and color range of most Rip-stop canvas' today are hard to beat.

Good idea....a saddler.
<<

RangerJ03

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:55 am

GutterClown wrote:The thickness, durability and color range of most Rip-stop canvas' today are hard to beat.

You Bet Brother I make all my cases from rip stop. Just got a sh!t load of army digital and a some charcoal gray.

HallisChalmers wrote:I cannot tell you how pissed off I get spending big bucks on a pick set only to have the g*dd@mn zipper break and start losing teeth like a drunk hillbilly at a square dance. :x

So you would like a heavy zipper a. How about the same kind that works the crouch curtain on your jeans. Just asking I'm thinking of making some cases with zippers.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:12 am

C0mmanderCha0s wrote:Can anyone comment on Peterson cases? I'm torn between a Peterson case and a Falle Safe case. Nylon versus leather.

Okay...now lets get on with this dream kit!

Always the leather. Otherwise it's like having a tidy little 18 yo girl in a pair of grannie knickers.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:38 am

RangerJ03 wrote:So you would like a heavy zipper a. How about the same kind that works the crouch curtain on your jeans. Just asking I'm thinking of making some cases with zippers.

Corners are still the problem. I'm not sure fly zippers would handle them any better.

Keep an eye out for 'invisible zippers', they may fair better as the teeth are inside rather than out.

When you make the case, make big corners. The larger the corner, the less stress you put on the teeth

s1deshowmick wrote:
C0mmanderCha0s wrote:Can anyone comment on Peterson cases? I'm torn between a Peterson case and a Falle Safe case. Nylon versus leather.

Okay...now lets get on with this dream kit!

Always the leather. Otherwise it's like having a tidy little 18 yo girl in a pair of grannie knickers.

you're doing it wrong, the knickers come off with the pants.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:45 am

[/quote]Always the leather. Otherwise it's like having a tidy little 18 yo girl in a pair of grannie knickers.[/quote]
you're doing it wrong, the knickers come off with the pants.[/quote]

There's more than a good chance of that, lol.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am

Cordura perhaps?
PreviousNext

Return to Uber-Noob