FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help with SPP

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Help with SPP

Ok, so I've been practicing like a madman. I've learned to ease up ALOT on tension and my pick. (learning on a few master #3's) I can feel the binding pins and I'm getting that satisfying "click". The problem I'm having now is that once I set a pin I'm having a hard time not going back to it and messing with it again. I call it a "spacing" issue. I can feel everything going on inside the lock. For example, they rarely bind in perfect order from back to front. So, If I start in the middle, I'll go and set another pin. Then I'll "get lost" in there and end up pushing on or unsetting the middle pin. I think u guys get what I'm saying. Is there any advice that can be given about this? Or does this feeling of the spacing just come in time?? Thanks for listening. Oh and Gutterclown I want to pick on you LOL... Give me some advice bro. laterzzzzzzzz Riff
<<

Steve

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Help with SPP

Riff wrote:Ok, so I've been practicing like a madman. I've learned to ease up ALOT on tension and my pick. (learning on a few master #3's) I can feel the binding pins and I'm getting that satisfying "click". The problem I'm having now is that once I set a pin I'm having a hard time not going back to it and messing with it again. I call it a "spacing" issue. I can feel everything going on inside the lock. For example, they rarely bind in perfect order from back to front. So, If I start in the middle, I'll go and set another pin. Then I'll "get lost" in there and end up pushing on or unsetting the middle pin. I think u guys get what I'm saying. Is there any advice that can be given about this? Or does this feeling of the spacing just come in time?? Thanks for listening. Oh and Gutterclown I want to pick on you LOL... Give me some advice bro. laterzzzzzzzz Riff

im not the most experienced but try gently rubbing your hook like a rake on the pins and find which ones needs to be set
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 pm

When you lose your spot so to speak, just feel around gently, when you come across a set pin, it will feel different, just leave it be, gently move past it to the next pin, sometimes the reason why you think you lose your place is because you accidently set pins with the shaft of your pick, or the blade as you call it, when you are reaching to the rear to set pins, then when the rear pin is set you move away from it and you come across these other pins that are set that you don't remember setting, it's sorta confusing to explain, but you will get better at this by practicing.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Pederson

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:42 pm

My TW is really all that is holding me back. It's way to thick
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Pederson wrote:My TW is really all that is holding me back. It's way to thick

have you tried top of keyway tension?
(you can use the "handle" part of your current TW, if you put 1/4 inch or so in a vise,then tap out the bend,to get 90 deg. "L" shape...)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Pederson

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:09 pm

awol70 wrote:

(you can use the "handle" part of your current TW, if you put 1/4 inch or so in a vise,then tap out the bend,to get 90 deg. "L" shape...)

the thickness of the TW is really thick like, not the L but the side of it. Also, it will not bend at all and I can't feel anything so...
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Pederson wrote:
awol70 wrote:

the thickness of the TW is really thick like, not the L but the side of it. Also, it will not bend at all and I can't feel anything so...

oh, i see...i know the type...next to no feedback...
i suggest you find some wiper inserts......a.s.a.p.
(lockpicker's best friend...)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Pederson

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:21 pm

awol70 wrote: oh, i see...i know the type...next to no feedback...
i suggest you find some wiper inserts......a.s.a.p.
(lockpicker's best friend...)

Thats what I am using... they are super thick ones. They are as this as like a city buses wipers
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:24 pm

I have some of these thick ones as well, and as I was saying in another post, they work well for Auto locks, but that's about it.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45 pm

(Off Topic) But anyway since we're talking about it, what is well know as the best TW??? What is your favorite???? How about you lockpickkid?

Anyway, more SPP tips will be appreciated... Thanks much!! Riff
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 am

Well, I don't think you can ever have a "best" tension wrench as lots of locks all take a different style, or size. I made a tension wrench out of an old southord wrench, it's really short but it's my most used, I have made several variations of this wrench and I carry them but this one original is my favorite, we have opened lots of locks together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:27 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Well, I don't think you can ever have a "best" tension wrench as lots of locks all take a different style, or size. I made a tension wrench out of an old southord wrench, it's really short but it's my most used, I have made several variations of this wrench and I carry them but this one original is my favorite, we have opened lots of locks together.

So it's a southord TW and you just shortened it up? How long is it? The reason I asked about the best TW is because I've heard that the hpc TR-4 below (I think 2 1/4 inch) double ended wrench is by far a favorite....forgot where i read that. But I was also asking personal opinions. Just curious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:29 pm

no, I didn't shorten it up, it was just shorter than most from the factory, I just turned the end flat, just like that hpc in the picture. It is just shorter compared to a factory HPC tension wrench. It was a twist flex from southord but I put another twist in the tip so that it was flat. It works awesome.
<<

shaothegreat

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am

I find myself using the thinner one from item D-234 (Convenient Tension Tool Set) at lockpicks.com alot these days. Especially on deadbolts and knobs. I also use the standard twist-flex from Southord more often than I should. I made a super-compact from a thin and narrow dollar store wiper blade that travels with me daily, and thus gets used for demonstrations/lockouts on occasion.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 am

shaothegreat wrote:I find myself using the thinner one from item D-234 (Convenient Tension Tool Set) at lockpicks.com alot these days. Especially on deadbolts and knobs. I also use the standard twist-flex from Southord more often than I should. I made a super-compact from a thin and narrow dollar store wiper blade that travels with me daily, and thus gets used for demonstrations/lockouts on occasion.

I also find myself using the standard twist-flex tw from southord more often then not. Why do you say "more often than I should"? Does it offer less feedback, therefore not developing mad skills? I'm only asking because I find when I use it I can feel more feedback. I attribute this to the rigidness of it.

Return to Uber-Noob