FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help a noob out

<<

THEsourman

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Help a noob out

im kind of new to lock picking
my first klom set its the navigator set
appearently its really good

if anyone has any tips or trick or anything like that
please feel free to post them
:D

or please reccomend any good sets or tools
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Help a noob out

Being new to the art, a lot of folks tend to manhandle the things. Learn to use more finesse than force, and your picks will last a good long time. Some of my HPC picks have faithfully served me for four decades now.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm

you don't need more tools than the kloms for now
find a cheap padlock you can practice on until you get better, don't be to heavy handed on the tension tool, you don't need much to put pressure on the tension wrench
and practice as often as you can, you will eventually get better and feel more in the lock
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

THEsourman

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:23 pm

THANKS!
i will make good use of those tips
ive already got a south ord cutaway coming in the mail
but other than that what would be a good lock to start with?
<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:05 pm

I started with master #3. But quickly moved away from the crappiness of them. Brinks are good locks, but some are tricky. My favorite right now is a master 575.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Myself here is my advice to you. First go through the master locks, 1-5 after you can do these, buy yourself a kwikset deadbolt to play with, then from there, start doing some of the better padlocks, Brinks, American, etc, etc,
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

THEsourman

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:27 pm

thakns again for all the tips
keep them coming there is no sitch thing as too mutch info :!:
<<

THEsourman

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:30 pm

what pick desighn is the best for beginners?
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:16 pm

There really is no best pick design in my opinion, as far as brands of picks, I would have never have started with Southord brand had I known that they were so flimsy and somewhat disposable, I would have gotten a quality durable set from the start like the HPC's that I use now. Now as far as what kind of pick, that really depends on what type of lock, but mostly for a beginner you probably will be using a small hook, maybe a diamond, and a snake rake. But this is all just my opinion.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:01 pm

best advice i can give...go pennyweight on the tension,and make your own tension wrenches
from wiper inserts.
most of the factory made t-tools suck.
they will impede your learning.
time to start dumpster-diving,if you want success =)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 pm

THEsourman wrote:what pick desighn is the best for beginners?

The short hook will be your primary go-to pick for a vast majority of locks - so it makes sense to start there. Learn to feel the pins and the inside of the keyway. Concentrate on the feel of the pick on the pins.

To start - no matter what lock you have - study the key. Blank everything else out of your head just lock at that key and imagine it working the pins in the keyway. Picture the key sliding in - pushing the pins to the appropriate height and opening the lock.

Now transfer that mental image to the tip of the pick and try to replicate that pin height in the keyway with your pick.

Eventually, you need to get to the point that you can pick a lock blind - in other words, you'll have no idea what the key bitting looks like and it won't matter.

Because by that time, you will be able to read the keyway just by the feel of your pick on the pins.

Good luck.
<<

frantic57744

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Just relax when your having a go at your 1st lock and be sure to keep it simple nice light tension and feel for little bumps that are accompanied by a click. Remember there are several factors that are interrelated when picking a lock: tension,type of tension wrench, keyway, type of pins, type of lock pick, all a bit daunting I know. But once you get the feel for it through repition and practice they all come together.
Not to disimilar to driving a car all the controls have a relationship to eachother and 1st time behind the wheel it doesn,t make much sense ,but with practise ding dong!! (woohoo)
http://www.youtube.com/user/frantic57744

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
<<

beingcurious

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:49 am

practise practise practise (its said to make perfect :D )
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:38 pm

well, i started with an abus 65/50, but these are quite hard for beginner locks, abus 84/40 i think is a good beginner lock, you get a feel on security pins in this lock and its not awfully hard to pick
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:07 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Myself here is my advice to you. First go through the master locks, 1-5 after you can do these, buy yourself a kwikset deadbolt to play with, then from there, start doing some of the better padlocks, Brinks, American, etc, etc,
the lockpickkid wrote:Myself here is my advice to you. First go through the master locks, 1-5 after you can do these, buy yourself a kwikset deadbolt to play with, then from there, start doing some of the better padlocks, Brinks, American, etc, etc,

could not have put it any better as this is exactly what I did
and dont forget practice practice & practice
Next

Return to Uber-Noob