FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

tubular lock picking

<<

ben9277

Post Mon May 16, 2011 2:40 pm

tubular lock picking

How can you tell which pins are set and which ones are not when using a tubular lock pick? Is there some trick or technique in using the 7 pin tubular lock pick? It seems to be more difficult then using the 8pin tubular lock pick. Some locks I have no problem with. I guess they are the cheaper ones. some just kick my ass. I take it these are the ones with different springs & tolerances? Any help ya'll can give me is much appreciated. Thank you all for your time and help.
:axeem:
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: tubular lock picking

I suppose it depends on how you are using the lock pick itself. If you are setting them all flush and pushing and twisting, I doubt there is a decent way (or at least I haven't found one) to feel which are set. Now if you pull all the feelers back and insert the pick and tension, then push each feeler one by one, once you hit a binding pin you should be able to feel it click. Similar concept to single pin picking a tubular lock. Tension, push around until you can find a stiff pin, push that pin until it sets, move on around until you find the next, and so on.

Hope this helps a bit, it is what worked for me, though I rarely ever use a dedicated tubular lock pick, I'd rather SPP them myself, much more fun.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 16, 2011 2:57 pm

I won't deny the fun in spp'ing tubular locks; But if yur intention is to get them open, the dedicated tool is the way to go...unless you have the time to repick it a few times.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Well yeah...if I were on a job I would use a dedicated tool, the HPC Model B is a great 7-pin tool, much better than the South Ord ones, in my opinion anyway. For just picking for fun, SPP all the way, picking one on the job could become a pain in the ass. I would say that method using the dedicated tool, but picking each pin individually with the feelers is a decent way to go if you are having trouble setting pins by push/twist. You don't have to re-pick it once it opens that way.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm

chris wrote:...I'd rather SPP them myself, much more fun.

What do you use for a tension wrench?
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Tue May 17, 2011 2:19 pm

<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Yep, same thing Kokomo posted, he sent me one of those, works wonders. You can also buy a mass produced one, which in my opinion sucks.

Return to Uber-Noob