FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Diary of an Über-NooB

<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Diary of an Über-NooB

I've decided to keep a picking journal of my noob journey....

At the moment just sitting here twiddling my thumbs and waiting on some bogatas to arrive and a pick set and then I'm away.

Been reading heaps of stuff on here + Soloman's excellent PDF (thanks for the that mate) and a few other bits and pieces like the LSI and MTI guides to wrap my head around the process.

And of course I've been aquiring some locks!.....so far I've nabbed the Ozzie surprise pack from Mick at the auction here + a Whitco 5 pin Rim Cylinder and today I found a box of about 20 x Lockwood 215A40's and 214A40's at work.....so I've nicked them for my noob collection also :hbg:

Thunderbolt
<<

sandman

Post Sun May 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Diary of an Über-NooB

cool man, cant wait to see it, i personaly need refresher on picking. im either concentrating to much on binding order, or too much/not enough tension. its kicking my ass. good luck
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun May 01, 2011 11:48 pm

Its good to see another Australian on the forum, there aren't that many of us. You should create a YouTube account and chronicle your progress with a series of videos (that's what most of the membership does). There is a section on the forum for members' videos. Let me know what your YT channel is and I'll subscribe.
<<

james504

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 02, 2011 12:39 am

cant wait to see some vid's bro!!!! id like to find a box of lockwoods at my job!!LOL
http://www.youtube.com/user/MsJames504
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 02, 2011 1:49 am

Thank you fella's.....i can't wait for my goodies to arrive so I can get stuck into it!
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 am

It's a good idea to have a you tube account, a great way of keeping up with progress, but more importantly,

"If it's not on video, It never happened" lol.

BTW: The goodies are on the way, I"ll Pm ya with the Lodgement receipt NO#
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 am

Hey Thunderbolt

I look forward to following your picking adventure. I'm pretty new to this myself but one thing I've discovered is that having the right tools is vital when your skill level is low.

As I build up my tool set, i find that i'm picking locks that used to defeat me, just because i found the right tool for the job. I'm sure with time and practice that most locks can be opened with skill and shit tools, but when your learning, having the right pick for the job makes all the difference.
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 am

s1deshowmick wrote:It's a good idea to have a you tube account, a great way of keeping up with progress, but more importantly,

"If it's not on video, It never happened" lol.

BTW: The goodies are on the way, I"ll Pm ya with the Lodgement receipt NO#

Nice one Mick...cheers mate

And I'll set up a YouTube account as mentioned

Looking forward to the delivery :drool:
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 am

Dopug wrote:Hey Thunderbolt

I look forward to following your picking adventure. I'm pretty new to this myself but one thing I've discovered is that having the right tools is vital when your skill level is low.

As I build up my tool set, i find that i'm picking locks that used to defeat me, just because i found the right tool for the job. I'm sure with time and practice that most locks can be opened with skill and shit tools, but when your learning, having the right pick for the job makes all the difference.

Thanks for the advice mate.

As with anything the learning curve will be steep and the right tools will always make the job easier....it's just working out what tools are right for what job at the moment :mrgreen:
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Much exitement today with the arrival of a little package from Serepick turning up at the post office.......the contents....a pair of stainless bogotas.

Let the festivities commence..... :hbg:
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 03, 2011 1:42 am

Well I got home and took to a Lockwood 215A40 with my newly aquired shiny bogata set.....was talking to the girlfriend and bogataing away when the lock clicked open and I guess by the shocked look on my face and "she who must be obeyed's" laughter....I obviously didn't have a clue how I'd done it :mrgreen:

Sat on the porch with a beer and had another crack....took me a little while but I seem to be using a circular raking motion....not too much pressure and popped the lock again. The gentle "sawing" technique doesn't seem to work (maybe just for this lock???) and I can't seem to get consistant results....but I guess that's just practice.

And yeah yeah.....I know.....if it's not on video it didn't happen! :fu:
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 am

Try a figure 8 movement I had good luck when using the bogotas more in a rocking motion than raking.
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 03, 2011 2:01 am

cool-arrow wrote:Try a figure 8 movement I had good luck when using the bogotas more in a rocking motion than raking.

Cheers mate.....Just worked that out.....just picked it 5 times in a row for an average time of 12.9 seconds....quickest time was 7.5 secs
<<

Thunderbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 03, 2011 2:16 am

Hmmm.....just picked the Whitco W752906 5-pin Rim Cylinder using the same technique in around 30 secs....gold!

Better get that You Tube channel up and running or you blokes will flame the crap out of me :lol:
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue May 03, 2011 7:33 am

Nice one thunderbolt - looking forward to the vids :D
Next

Return to Uber-Noob