FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Where do I start?

<<

Mittens

The pink puss-i-nator

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 am

Where do I start?

Uber newb here *waves*.

My husband (clearmoon247) and I have been lock picking for a while. Him much more then myself. He finds the time to watch the videos and learn about the locks and make all of his picks by hand etc etc etc and I just sit back in amazement when he does this because it all seems so...hard to me.

Now, I do pick. I *can* pick some locks, probably more then I give myself credit for if I gave myself half a chance, but some just frustrate the piss out of me and I give up.
I can pick a hand full of padlocks, some hand cuffs, a progressive set with regular pins in it 1-5 and I can work with some spool pins given a lot of frustrating time. Anyone who bits a lock 191919 should be kicked by the way. I'm just kind of lost in all the vastness that is lock picking.

So, my question is..where do I start?
What locks should I really be working on?
Videos? Pointers? People I should talk to?
Kits that should be bought/made?

Come on guys, help a girl out. ;)
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:58 am

Re: Where do I start?

Mittens wrote:Now, I do pick. I *can* pick some locks, probably more then I give myself credit for if I gave myself half a chance, but some just frustrate the piss out of me and I give up.

Have you tried removing some of the pins on these locks that frustrate you? For example, if it is a 5-pin lock and you aren't making any progress try removing the last two pin stacks and see how you go. If still no progress then remove the last pin stack. When you are able to successfully manipulate the pin stacks then start adding them back.

So, my question is..where do I start?
What locks should I really be working on?

North Americans ususally start with Kwikset cylinders and the Master padlocks and then progress to Schlage cylinders and American padlocks.

Videos?

Awol70's/wizwazzles videos and Kokomolock's are definitely worth a look.

Pointers?

Mount your lock cylinders in a small hobby vise/vice that is fixed to your table. Only hold padlocks in your hands while picking them. Not only is this more realistic but it will also better develop your tactile sense.

Kits that should be bought/made?

You may benefit from a cutaway lock, i.e. a lock that has had sections of it removed such that it exposes the pin stacks.
You can use a cutaway cylinder to confirm your tactile accuity and precision, eg. try to push only the 3rd pin stack and then visually confirm that you are pushing only the 3rd pin stack.

Hope this helps.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Where do I start?

What piotr said;

but don't get frustraited, it can be very relaxing !

Just remember, there is no spoon.

Don't think about it, feel it then think about the feeling's on the lock before it popped op

Return to Uber-Noob