FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

what are the benefits of offset diamonds and offset balls?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:35 pm

what are the benefits of offset diamonds and offset balls?

i've been wondering if i should make an offset diamond or an offset ball...or just a short hook. i've wondered what the benefits would be if i used those instead of hooks. if anyone can tell me how these might be better than hooks in anyway...i appreciate it very much.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: what are the benefits of offset diamonds and offset balls?

personally, i would go for the short hook all the way. that is just because that is always the first thing i reach for and the one that works when all else fails.

but what is good about the offsets is that they allow for the raking method and the spp method as well as being able to reach easily to the back pins. now, offest diamonds tend to brake easily if you dont be extra careful with the head of the pick when forming it. make sure it it doesnt loose temper.
offset balls though on the other hand, dont break as often, but you still want to watch the temper on it.

if you are making a few of them, i would do one of each rake, and 2 short hooks.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Josh wrote:offset balls though on the other hand, dont break as often, but you still want to watch the temper on it.

Lockylew: Fixed your quote again :D

I don't know, I get my balls offset and broke quite a few times....and I remain fairly even tempered about it too.

Oh, I'm sorry! You meant picks...

Seriously though, the offset diamond comes in handy when trying to reach a pin that sets lower behind another pin, like Josh said. As for an offset ball pick, it will work a little bit better when doing the same thing (setting a pin thats lower than another pin) in a lock that uses those big Schlage pins that you find in rim cylinder or mortise locks.

The only problem that I have with either one is that they'll snap if you get real vigourous and heavy-handed when raking. Also, the half-diamond will get pretty rough on the pins if you go too hard.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:22 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Josh wrote:offset balls though on the other hand, dont break as often, but you still want to watch the temper on it.

I don't know, I get my balls offset and broke quite a few times....and I remain fairly even tempered about it too.

Seriously though, the offset diamond comes in handy when trying to reach a pin that sets lower behind another pin, like Josh said. As for an offset ball pick, it will work a little bit better when doing the same thing (setting a pin thats lower than another pin) in a lock that uses those big Schlage pins that you find in rim cylinder or mortise locks.

The only problem that I have with either one is that they'll snap if you get real vigourous and heavy-handed when raking. Also, the half-diamond will get pretty rough on the pins if you go too hard.

hehehe. my girl does that to me sometimes....i stay tempered about it too. hehe....anyway...thanks hallis. so i guess i should make an offset ball then eh? now that i think about it, my locksmith uses rytan picks,but only the offset diamond,the regular diamond,and the snake rake. and the offset diamonds they use get the sh*t bent outta them.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:25 pm

Josh wrote:personally, i would go for the short hook all the way. that is just because that is always the first thing i reach for and the one that works when all else fails.

but what is good about the offsets is that they allow for the raking method and the spp method as well as being able to reach easily to the back pins. now, offest diamonds tend to brake easily if you dont be extra careful with the head of the pick when forming it. make sure it it doesnt loose temper.
offset balls though on the other hand, dont break as often, but you still want to watch the temper on it.

if you are making a few of them, i would do one of each rake, and 2 short hooks.

cool. thanks josh. as for the temper, like i said before. i have to use handfiles,so i dont think temper is a problem.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

hehehe. my girl does that to me sometimes....i stay tempered about it too. hehe....anyway...thanks hallis. so i guess i should make an offset ball then eh? now that i think about it, my locksmith uses rytan picks,but only the offset diamond,the regular diamond,and the snake rake. and the offset diamonds they use get the sh*t bent outta them.

It doesn't hurt to have these in your arsenal of picks. Just see if you can find some material that is strong enough so it won't bend too easily. It really depends on the keyway that you'll be working on. If you're working on a rim or mortise - they'll have pretty hefty pins in them.

Padlocks on the other hand vary from large pins in large keyways to very tight keyways with small pins. However, I've found that Best, Yale, Eagle, Abus, etc. have very tight keyways and you'll need a thin offset diamond to get in some of those locks, especially if they have wild bitting.

For example if the lock has an exaggerated hi-lo-hi-lo-hi bitting, well my friend, you'll be scratching your head for a while.

At least that's what happens to me, anyways.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:09 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Jc2intelligent wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

It doesn't hurt to have these in your arsenal of picks. Just see if you can find some material that is strong enough so it won't bend too easily. It really depends on the keyway that you'll be working on. If you're working on a rim or mortise - they'll have pretty hefty pins in them.

Padlocks on the other hand vary from large pins in large keyways to very tight keyways with small pins. However, I've found that Best, Yale, Eagle, Abus, etc. have very tight keyways and you'll need a thin offset diamond to get in some of those locks, especially if they have wild bitting.

For example if the lock has an exaggerated hi-lo-hi-lo-hi bitting, well my friend, you'll be scratching your head for a while.

At least that's what happens to me, anyways.

yeah. for me if i dont get it with an offset or short hook, then i reach for the longer hooks. and the last ace in the hole is the falle safe,but i'm still looking around for drain snake to make it.

one of my brinks max security shrouded's have a really nasty bitting,and my 911.

Return to Uber-Noob