FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Upvc locks and doors

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Upvc locks and doors

I feel like a total noob.

I keep seeing references to upvc doors and locks but cant find out what they are .

Are they only in the UK or are they found in North America?
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Upvc locks and doors

Ignore me, thought you were talking about something else.
Last edited by Aedalas on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Abroxis , what would you like to know ? the handle operates a gear box which moves a vertical strip in the door jamb , it typically has either3 or 5 locking points
the cylinder does not affect this operation , it only pushes a latch which blocks the movement of the handle (which in turn will unset the locking points when the handle is depressed) i spoke to Solomon about doing a tutorial on this very subject , now i'm pissed that i didn't bother !
Open Sez Me !
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Upvc lock gear of which there are many different types in europe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for the quick response .....

The name Upvc , does that refer to poly vinyl chloride a type of plastic or is PVC not direcly connected

Its amazing how NorthAmerican centric I am when it comes to locksmithing .

There are 100's of locks and methods that the average NA locksmith probably has never seen or knows about.

I am wondering if the same works in reverse. Would most UK or EURO locksmiths know about our locks and kit?
Last edited by abroxis on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 pm

This is the central lock gear box ONLY shows the locking bolt that is thrown by the euro cylinder lock cam.. when fixed in of course, thats why so many euro cylinders are snapped out to get to this part of the lock, also worth mentioning is that euro locks come in different sizes for example 40 x 50 and so on to match the doors profile,as nozza rightly says the handle throws the hooks,bolts, or rollers into locking points fixed to the door jamb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:46 pm

yes.. i have a basic understand of the security used in the usa and to be honest its not very good compared to the european market... no offence thats just the way it is.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Forgot to mention something that will save your customers alot of cash and help you the locksmith attending if you have to force the upvc door.
Dents and gouges down the side of upvc doors are common, a simple.. hair dryer will allow the plastic to become malleable enough to straighten these out,then a bit of wet and dry paper to polish the scratches out works great.

Return to Uber-Noob