FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Is this good to start off with?

<<

HyTex

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:17 am

Is this good to start off with?

Hey everybody,

I'm getting into lock picking after a bit of research and lurking. I'm getting a pick set for my birthday, along with several practice locks. Are these alright for a starter set, and how long will I be able to practice on these three locks? Any suggestions for follow-ups and challenges? Is the pirate-like one even pick-able with the tools I'll have?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty souped about learning to pick locks, even though my b-day is over a month away lol =)
<<

Violaetor

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Is this good to start off with?

The luggage locks will be very simple, they are most likely 3-pin with no security. The lever lock will be difficult if you don't understand whats in there and how it works, but is possible with pin-tumbler picks. They Yale will most likely have spool pins in it and can be a more difficult/frustrating keyway for a beginner lock.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 am

That set looks great for starting out. 2 different hooks, a half diamond and a couple of rakes... wide assortment of wrenches too. I actually wouldn't mind that myself as a carry set; take good care of them and it should be all you need for 80-90% of stuff.

The masters should be easy peasy, I doubt they'll have security pins of any kind and since they only have 3 pins they should be a doddle. The keyway will probably be very small though so that could be an issue. As for the yale, that'll most likely have spool pins. The type they use are very narrow so they give a wicked deep false set, you'll have fun with that one for sure!

As for the lever padlock, providing you can tension the bolt by pulling on the shackle then you could probably do it but I wouldn't recommend using those picks as the leaf springs are pretty strong and you'll put a lot of pressure on them. It's simple enough to bend and file some steel wire to suit your needs, so I wouldn't risk ruining them. If pulling on the shackle doesn't tension the bolt you'll need to use a seperate wire; you can tension the bolt through the keyway itself or with some locks you can even stick a length of steel between the body and shackle to tension it that way.
<<

HyTex

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate the info.

What is the significance of a "spool pin" as opposed to a different kind of pin, and if they are harder to pick, why aren't they more standard in locks? Or are they, and I'm just blissfully unaware? Are there any sources that mention / go through this kind of information? I'd love to read up on the various picks and locks.

Also, from what you guys are saying, it sounds like I got a better deal on the Yale than I thought. I just read 5 pins and was like "=) oh that's more than 3 should be a bit tougher to SPP" but if there's an added security measure I'll definitely be cursing within an hour or so haha. Will either of those keyholes be too thin for my picks/wrenches, or am I still ok with what I have?
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:09 pm

HyTex wrote:What is the significance of a "spool pin" as opposed to a different kind of pin

Regular driver pin (aka "top" pin): :stddriver:
Spool driver (aka "top" pin) pin: :spool:

In summary, spools complicate picking and raking by creating what is termed a false set which requires some technique to overcome.

why aren't they more standard in locks?

Cost. The per unit cost of a spooled driver is greater than the cost of a standard driver pin because they require more steps to produce. Also, the lock cylinder production process is made more complicated when cylinders will contain spools in that the pin chambers will be filled by two distinct machine processes, namely one which supplies standard drivers and another that supplies spooled drivers (you generally can't have all spools because the plug will have too much play, you typically have at least one regular or serrated ( :serrated: ) driver). So the short answer is cost: component cost and process cost.

Welcome to the forum.
<<

Josh66

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:15 pm

HyTex wrote:Will either of those keyholes be too thin for my picks/wrenches, or am I still ok with what I have?

You'll be OK with what you have. I haven't really found a keyway I couldn't get the Sparrows picks into yet (not saying that doesn't exist though).
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Over here spools are really common. It's actually strange to come across a lock that doesn't have them, very few brands only have standard pins here. Only locks you come across with standard pins are cheap rim cylinders (or older ones made by union/legge), certain brands of euro (notably laird) and cheapo/old padlocks. If you struggled with spools you'd be fucked over here lol, thankfully for most people they actually make picking easier when they learn the technique. :hbg:

Return to Uber-Noob